To Trill Or Not To Trill?

Guest bek_

I heard that the budgie seed mix brand name "TRILL" is really bad for caged budgies (as in budgies not in a large aviary) I've heard of people who have fed their budgies trill and had them die. I spoke to a breeder about this and he said that it's like giving your bird extacy, like it makes them speed up. He said it was alright for birds in a large aviary(they can fly around and release the energy) but birds in a small cage go stir crazy and die from over stimulation.. or something like that..

what do you reckon?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Trill is great in my opinion. :D I feed it to both my aviary budgies and Blinkie but Blinkie gets the mix with more types of seed in it. Any seed mix regardless of brand needs to be supplemented with other fresh foods so i think Trills good cause it's got several different seeds aswell as those little nutrivit crumbles.

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455

I say Trill is fine, Star eats it everyday. Providing your budgie(s) get plenty of exercise and other foods in their diet then I don't see a problem.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Bek, Trill is okay but not on it's own. That is to say that any Commercial Budgie mix is okay as a base diet but they also need vegtables and friut and calcium (Cuttlefish bone) good clean water etc.....

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

I argee with all of you, it's what I give my lot.

I don't really agree with that at all I'mafraid. It may be that the birds died if they were fed a seed only diet though.

my grandma use to keep budgies and all she fed them was a trill diet no fruit/veg and they lived a long while.

ATD

What is in trill? Every seed mix I've ever seen pretty much contains the same thing. So like everyone else said, it shouldn't be the base of the diet. Pellets should be a good portion as well as fresh veggies, legumes, and then the occasional bit of fruit.

Guest pixie25

erm about 5 different types of millet, canary seed, oats. i feed trill. it seems to be the best quality seed i can find. the pet shop own brands usually contain a lot of dust :glare:

and i think the person who had his budgie die on trill would have been feeding ONLY trill, not realising that budgies need lots of variety to their diet. as for hyperactivity - not related to the seeds at all. if you keep a budgie in a cage that is too small it will become chlostrophobic and try to find lots of ways to get out endlessly. the budgie needs a larger cage to play in - not a change of seed brands.

i think the person who told you that information was vey misinformed.

Edited by pixie25

I think it's important to remember that not all breeders are as experienced or knowledgable as they would like to think. Always try to check any advice you have been given with at least one or two independant sources.

• Member ID:  117
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Many years ago there was a rumour went round the manufacturers of Trill put a tiny bit of spped in with the mix, so that the budgies who ate Trill always seemed bouncing with life and vitality. This of course is absolute rubbish. Speed has never been added to Trill!

I think Trill is a great combination seed food to give you budgie/s, but, as has already been said, its NOT enough on its own. Fruits and fresh veggies should be placed freshly in the cage every day so the bird has access to fresh foods aswel as his seed; and of course, a cuttlefish bone and a mineral block to nibble on never go amiss ether.

• Member ID:  1,557
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  885

Many years ago there was a rumour went round the manufacturers of Trill put a tiny bit of spped in with the mix, so that the budgies who ate Trill always seemed bouncing with life and vitality. This of course is absolute rubbish. Speed has never been added to Trill!

I think Trill is a great combination seed food to give you budgie/s, but, as has already been said, its NOT enough on its own. Fruits and fresh veggies should be placed freshly in the cage every day so the bird has access to fresh foods aswel as his seed; and of course, a cuttlefish bone and a mineral block to nibble on never go amiss ether.

I have always fed mine on Trill but the only problem I've had with Trill is contamination of sunflower seeds. I have had to send some packets back to the manufacturer on three different ocassions when I found lots of sunflowers seeds mixed in with it. They said it was unacceptable and gave me a full refund and vouchers which was great but it doesn't alter the fact that their quality control is somewhat lapse to say the least. I realise sunflower seeds are not dangerous to budgies at least I hope their not but if they can get into the packets of Trill what else has. Also I once bought some packets from Tescos thinking it would be lovely and fresh but it was contaminated with small mites, that also went back, much to the horror of Tescos customer services, they at least had the sense to clear their shelves and dispose of the rest. :glare:

Sunflowers aren't necessarily harmful in a toxic way, but they can be very fattening. I have so much trouble finding mixes for my cockatiels that aren't loaded with those things!

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Sunflower seeds are good to give your budgies in Autum and before Show times to "Fatten" them up. .....But of course with everything in life it should be given in moderation. :) Like Sausage Rolls :D

Guest moonsdestiny

Hi! I get Trill and my budgies love it (i had a friend who used to have a budgie and used it but it didn't make the budgie die any earlier, he lived to about 10). But they don't eat the nutrivit crumbles bits. Is there anyway i can get them to eat it? :D

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

How do you know they don't eat them? Seeing as you only have 2 budgies i would measure their seed, each budgie needs 2 teaspoons of seed a day but i would put an extra one in just incase one is feeling greedy. :P By measuring you make them eat all the types of seed instead of just their favourites. :blink:

Guest hommer2054

Well I buy breeders mix from a retail outlet for $39.95 for 40kg if I purchase the other brand id estimate it would cost me about $200.00 for 40kg

But I would not recommend anyone with just one budgie buy 40kg of seed as it would go stale and rot

But as for mentioning the brand and putting it down I think you should kill this thread as in you could be sued for defaming a know brand.

:blink:

• Member ID:  117
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Sunflower seeds are good to give your budgies in Autum and before Show times to "Fatten" them up. .....But of course with everything in life it should be given in moderation. :P Like Sausage Rolls :D

WHAT??????????????? Sausage rolls should be scoffed in moderation??? :blink: Oh I think NOT :D

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

I have used Trill for years without any ill effects, my birds really love it.

I also mix in some sunflower seeds which some eat & some don't.

Years ago my parents fed their budgie with Trill and no fruit and veg and he lived to be quite old.

Also Bea's idea worked for me by measuring out the seed they eat all of the seed rather than just some.

Edited by JJ2571

People can live really old too, when they do things like smoke, not exercise etc. But they aren't 'healthy' We've all seen 80 year olds who can barely get about, and then there is a 95 year old, who's looked after themselves, who is more sprightly than a 50 year old! It's not about how long you live, but how well.

Guest moonsdestiny
How do you know they don't eat them? Seeing as you only have 2 budgies i would measure their seed, each budgie needs 2 teaspoons of seed a day but i would put an extra one in just incase one is feeling greedy. :P By measuring you make them eat all the types of seed instead of just their favourites. :P

I give them 5 teaspoons and they throw all the seeds they don't like out of the food container.

Try giving them less, so that they eat it all. They need the variety, and they are just eating the tastiest, and probably most fatty seeds. It's a bit like kids - they would live on pizza and icecream if you let them, but you have to make sure they don't :P

Guest moonsdestiny
Try giving them less, so that they eat it all. They need the variety, and they are just eating the tastiest, and probably most fatty seeds. It's a bit like kids - they would live on pizza and icecream if you let them, but you have to make sure they don't :P

Yeah, i'll try that. They always eat the millet first!