Budgie With Diarrhea :(

Guest TheSprintys

:blink::P:P

Try and secure her head, and then, I can't believe I'm saying this, put your finger in her mouth! (Laughing out loud). I don't think this board has ever advised someone of how to get bitten before :P:P:P

Guest TheSprintys
:hap: :P:P

Try and secure her head, and then, I can't believe I'm saying this, put your finger in her mouth! (Laughing out loud). I don't think this board has ever advised someone of how to get bitten before :P:P:P

Aw, her head is so tiny! It was hard, she still shook around and such, but I was able to just stick the syringe in there and squirt it in. She likes the taste atleast, the last meds I had to give my birds were gross...they sneezed and shook their heads, spitting it out.

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I guess this means you've figured it out. :P If not, here's a link to a thread about how to give oral medicines. It's about halfway down.

Glad there was nothing serious wrong with your birds, and I'm very sorry about Bigger. :hap:

• Member ID:  117
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Does she love her millet? If so, hide the syringe in your hand with some millet; so a bit of millet is still able to be held in your thumb and forfinger. Also, allow the tip of the syringe to be just past tip of thumb and forfinger. The medicine should be quite easy to slyly inject into her beak from there, especially if she is stood on your knee gobbling up her millet. Your free hand can press the syringe down. Worked a dream with my piggy little Teapot.

Im wondering if the poop she is producing could be a bit acidic? This would cause quite a bit of irritation around her bottom, and encourage over preening due to the irritation. What does her diet consist of? Does dhe eat much/any acidic fruit? Id also ask your vet if theres any chance of a yeast infection around her vent. A gentle topical avian prescribed ointment would give her great relief if this could be the case. Im glad that in the meantime she seems to be improving though.

Also, condolences over your little rat. Ive had rats, they are adorable. And hats off to you for insisting on a good sedative prior to the euthanasia. I have always insisted on lght anaesetic prior to the injection.

Please keep us informed.

Anne

• 6 years later...

• Member ID:  7,398
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  10

If the bird is a bacterial diarrhea due to infection, should use oxytetracycline. :happy-dancing:

It says there:

In budgerigars, diarrhea, and treatment (http://vetgunluk.com/blog/en/2012/08/30/in-budgerigars-diarrhea-and-treatment/)

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

If the bird is a bacterial diarrhea due to infection, should use oxytetracycline. :happy-dancing:

It says there:

In budgerigars, diarrhea, and treatment (http://vetgunluk.com/blog/en/2012/08/30/in-budgerigars-diarrhea-and-treatment/)

This post started in 2005 ? I don't think we need say more? sorry, check the dates.