Is This Unhealthy For My Budgie?

Guest rachel

i found out from someone that lettuce and other vegetables with high water content can be unhealthy for budgies. i havn't fed any to my budgie in case it was true but i would like to know what other people think. thankyou in advance :ausb: :P:) :) :greenb: :rip: :parrot: :ygbudgie:

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

It not bad it's just hardly worth feeding as it has so little nutritional value. :P It's a good vegetable to start your budgie on as a lot of budgies seem to like it. You shouldn't feed too much as it can cause runny, green poops.

I'm sorry, but it's a lie! All that high water content in veggies will give your birds is maybe some diarrhea, but they are fine to feed! Besides, there are different types of lettuce that you can feed that are more nutritious than the iceberg lettuce. My birds do like the crunchiness of iceberg lettuce, but they also chow on romaine, and other dark green leafy veggies!

Edited by Mfids

thankyou because i'm trying to feed my budgie different foods apart from seed, i've tried carrot and brocoli and they've worked but i'm trying to find fruits and other foods as well :P

The unhealthy part might have come from how quickly the high water content foods go off - causing more severe upset tummies! As long as it is removed before it goes off, it's fine

Try for the healthier veggies though, they're better than fruits. Fruits tend to be sugary. Go for things like kale, spniach, broccoli, romaine lettuce (not iceberg), carrots, and things like that. :P

Some foods are at more risk of having harmful chemicals (pesticides) on them and shouldn't be given unless you know they are organically grown: strawberries, red and green bell peppers, spinach, cherries, pearches, mexican canteloupes, celery, apples, apricots, green beans, chilean grapes, and cucumbers. (list from http://www.landofvos.com/articles/kitchen4.html )

For a little more information on feeding a healthier diet you can check out this question in the FAQ as well as others in the Food and Nutrition section.