A Colection Of Random Questions

Guest natty

Hi

1) which are noisier male or female budgies ?

2) is there an age at which you should stop breeding from a budgie ? if so what is that please.

3) will 4 males and 1 female in the same cage be a problem ?

Thanks

1) which are noisier male or female budgies ?

Males are generally more chatty, singing and warbling to themselves or other birds. They do seem more "quiet" to me in that their noises aren't as loud. Females seem to get loud but in short bursts. Of course, this can vary from bird to bird and I'm really just going on my experience with mine. (One male, three females.)

2) is there an age at which you should stop breeding from a budgie ? if so what is that please.

Most sources say to stop breeding at age 3 or 4. And remember that your budgies should be at least a year old before beginning to breed.

3) will 4 males and 1 female in the same cage be a problem ?

Females tend to be more aggressive with other budgies than males so generally, the answer would be no. However, this really depends on the personality of the budgies. It definitely helps if they have a lot of space and for five budgies to have a lot of space it would be a good idea to have a cage around the size of this one: http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/A03/PA5719

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

eterri is it true that males are more likely to talk than females?

Sorry to butt in on this but going on from your reply to would 4 males and 1 female be a problem eterri:- wouldn't the males be a problem in terms of wanting to mate with the one female and wouldn't that constant'nattering'exhaust her? I know that's the case as far as fish are concerned so I'm interested to know if the situation is the same for birds?

Also Featheredpets:- generally males make better talkers than females in my opinion.

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455

Also Featheredpets:- generally males make better talkers than females in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. :)

Sorry to butt in on this but going on from your reply to would 4 males and 1 female be a problem eterri:- wouldn't the males be a problem in terms of wanting to mate with the one female and wouldn't that constant'nattering'exhaust her? I know that's the case as far as fish are concerned so I'm interested to know if the situation is the same for birds?

I doubt this would be a problem, honestly. Male budgies have a habit of forming same-sex pairs when there aren't females (or enough females) available. There would be more chance of a problem if you had more females than males as you know how us females can be sometimes. :)

And yeah, I agree. Females can talk but it's a lot more common in males. (Which is where female budgies and female humans start becoming more different... :))

Edited by eterri

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

As eterri said but for a more detailed answer, females should be stoped at 3-4 years while males can continue until 6 years.

And yeah, I agree. Females can talk but it's a lot more common in males. (Which is where female budgies and female humans start becoming more different... :))

Well maybe the talking gene is sex-linked and need two X's to work :)

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I've read that if you plan on having 3 birds + have more males than females because males are generally happy to 'share' the females. :(Laughing out loud):

• Member ID:  875
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

I have 2 females and 4 males. One male and female are paired up but dont mate. One of my other males shares a cage with my other female, but they have time out to be with my other 2 males and I do get quite a lot of bickering, they were supposed to share a huge cage I got them but because of the fighting they are seperated which is a pain, a costly pain, but I agree this is a personality thing and can be a total different situation with different tempremented birds.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Ahh... so that's what that was about! I saw the post and got very confused! :P

Ususlly they will only mate then, but sometimes they mate without a box, and lay an egg on the floor of the cage. You can also, though it's not common, get a lone hen who will lay an egg on the floor of the cage. Budgies just like to confuse us :P

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

i thought budgies would only mate if there were nesting boxes in the cage/avairy

Ususlly they will only mate then, but sometimes they mate without a box, and lay an egg on the floor of the cage. You can also, though it's not common, get a lone hen who will lay an egg on the floor of the cage. Budgies just like to confuse us :)

Skittles was going to lay her eggs in the back cushions of my sofa... :P