We Are New To Budgie Breeding! Help Is Needed!

Guest krystlechelsea

Guest krystlechelsea

:ausb: please help us!! :dbb1:

:ausb: please help us!! :dbb1:

:) we just want to know what the first sings of them breeding are and if there is any special requiremts for them to breed. we have the right size cage and the box we just want to know what to do next?

Hi and welcome! Okay, give us some more information :) How much do you know, what would you like to know, how long have you had budgies for and how old are they? By the way, we love pictures, so post some of your birds and your set up.

Guest krystlechelsea
Hi and welcome! Okay, give us some more information :) How much do you know, what would you like to know, how long have you had budgies for and how old are they? By the way, we love pictures, so post some of your birds and your set up.

we have two birds they are both 12months old. I have only had them for a week. I just would like to know how long might it take for the to Mate. any tips to help the process faster?

I am takings some photos now

Guest eterri

Well, you're putting the cart before the horse! Or in this case, the nest box before the knowledge. :)

First step? Read ALL the steps before getting started! It's like trying to put something together or cook a recipe; you make sure you know everything before you get started or you're likely to make a critical mistake and in this situation, lives are at stake!

You have the birds and the nest box and the cage but is everything else in order? Have they seen an avian vet? Are you certain they're unrelated and are carrying no hereditary diseases or disorders? Some diseases show absolutely no symptoms but can be passed off to the chicks. Do you have homes lined up for the babies and are you prepared to keep them in case good homes don't come along or someone isn't able to commit?

Another very important thing I must ask is that since you've only had these birds for a week, are they already converted to a healthy diet? An all seed diet lacks proper nutrition, especially for breeding budgies.

Sorry if I'm overwhelming you with questions but you seem to be in such a rush to breed when in reality, it's something that takes a lot of time to learn about. You need to learn how to handfeed chicks in case the parents reject them or pluck them (and this is something you must be shown in person as doing it wrong means killing the chick). You need to learn how to deal with things like splayed legs and or how to recognize an egg bound hen.

There are so very many things you need to know and it seems like you realize this to an extent. Please understand that there is no way we can give you all that you need to know. This is a message board and there are lots of experienced people here but they can't show you how to hand feed (unless you're lucky enough to find that one of them lives near you!) and there's just no way we could cover all the details properly.

Besides, you've only had these budgies a week. How can you know for sure that you want to breed them if you're not even sure of everything that is involved with breeding? :dbb1:

Edited by eterri

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Root Administrators
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  610
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,352
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  28/01/1990

• Member ID:  984
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3,475
  • Birthday:  01/04/1967

eterri has cover it well! Good luck with all the reading...

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  984
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3,475
  • Birthday:  01/04/1967

Your hen wil be labouring and not active. This is very dangerous for your hen and she could die.

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455

Welcome to the forum krystlechelsea , there's loads of useful and important information here so please have a look around. ;)

I've had my budgies for ages now...I got them because I love them, I always knew I wanted to breed them. I haven't started breeding yet, there's still heaps I need to learn. They'll need cuttlefish, lots of fruit and normal seed at least a month before you start trying, then you'll have to stock up on egg and biscuit mix for the hen and bubs (if she decides to abandon them). Ringing if you decide to do it comes about 10 days after hatching, then there's over-preening to look out for, and it's never too soon to look for homes for the babies.

Anyone want to tell me all about everything I missed? There's actually quite a bit I haven't listed, and I know, this is a quick breakdown of the bare minimum you should know before you start.

Guest luvbudgies
how DO you recognise an egg bound hen?

If your hen is egg bound the first signe is usally death with in 2 days. If it is a soft shelled egg it may take longer for the hen to pass and she may need more calsium to help harden the egg so she can pass it.

I once had a hen which the egg brock inside of her. She never passed the egg but was put on antibiotics as she had what was called a youlk Peritonitis.

To know if your hen is carrying a egg is to see if the adomen is enlarged you will see the egg clearly.

The dropping should be very large and if there is a nest box she should be spending long hours of the day in the box.

Here's something that might help you. I got it out of a book I brought when my young hen had a deadly desiese.

Signes of chronic egg laying and egg binding.

* Erect posture (penguin like)

*Strainging to lay egg

*swallen abdomen

*Can feel the egg near the vent. soft shelled eggs are dificult to feel.

Be careful when feeling for the egg as you can accidently break the egg inside of the hen and cause youl perionitis.