Vets

Guest Azale

There aren't many true avian vets in my area, but there is someone who says they 'treat' birds, but it is a very small vet who mostly does cats and dogs. Therefore, when I got my little Nikko, I didn't take him to a vet for a check up.

I of course do not know if this is a good idea or not, but he seems alright, and if something wrong does happen, I am very much ready to take him to a vet.

So I must ask (sorry if this is on the wrong board.) is it nessisary to take your budgie to a vet for check ups?

Do budgies get things such as vacs or anything? or is just a security measure incase you have other budgies at your house.

Just wanted opinions. Thanks!

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

If you what is normal for a bird and it is your one and only you don't have to take it for a simple check up. Birds don't have vacs like cats and dogs. If you do have other birds then a check at the vet is a good idea to check for infection deseases. The bird can be acting fine and be a carrier and the move to a new place with the shock can make then fall to the illess which in turn can infect your whole flock.

It great that you have looked around your area and found places you can take Nikko to if he gets hurt or becomes ill. :D

the thing with "check ups" i believe it is a con because unless full bloods etc are taken you can never be certain. and taking blood from such a small animal can not always be a good thing.

ATD

Guest pixie25

at a 'well bird' checkup, the vet should run a whole set of tests for avairy diseases. i would strongly recommend having this done if you have more than one bird.

Guest birdie2008

The bird might be a carrier of diseases that do not show up, and just the quarantine is not going to get rid of that. I would suggest a "well bird" checkup with full blood work at first, then just a simple checkup without blood tests every year or so after. I would suggest a poop test every year too.

Blood tests do take a lot of blood out of such a small bird :) . Libbi and Peati were given shots of fluids afterwards.

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

I strongly believe that a full check up (by a vet) and full quarantine is vita. Take it from someone who has just found one of her birds to be PBFD positive. Thank God I am strict with quarantine. However, PBFD is an airborn disease, and still, the rest of my flock could be affected, they COULD die as a result of this disease being present in the house. I have rehomed little Beefur in a very trusted home, where he will be the only bird. I have given the rest of my flock a little bit more chance by doing this. okay, so I quarantined, had full checks, and I still have Beak and feather disease in my house. BUT without the full check-up, Beefur wiuld have come out of quarantine and mixed with my flock, who would all have been in even more risk than they are now. A full check up is vital. If you can't afford it, dont get another bird UNTIL you have saved up for full check-up.

Alright. So before I get a second bird I should take both to the vet? Then leave the other for quarentin... how long does that last? If I bought them from the same place (breeders) can the quarentine be shorter? Also would it be alright to keep him in a large three story hamster cage for that time (the floors have been removed) and what procautions should I make about it? or will the hamsterness just completely make my bird sick? Even with disinfecting?

Guest pixie25

a large hamster cage sounds fine :(

normal quarantine is 30 days. during this time the birds should be kept as far away as possible from eachother and should be allowed no contact at all. wash your hands thoroughly after handling each of the birds and even change your t-shirt in between handling them. some diseases are transferred by air and can stick to clothes.

if you bought the birds from the same breeder at the same time then no quarantine will be necessary because they will have already been in contact with eachother. if you bought them from the same breeder but weeks apart i would still stick to quarantine rules.

at some point during quarantine the new bird should have a full set of tests done for aviary diseases and bacterial infections. if your current bird hasnt already been tested it would be a good idea to get him done aswell. your vet may also worm them as they are new and have been outside in an aviary.

hope this helps. :)

Guest pixie25

i forgot to say that as far apart as possible means preferrably at opposite sides of the house in a totally separate room. :(

if any infections show up in testing quarantine should be lengthened to 2 months and should recieve a clean bill of health before being introduced.

Edited by pixie25

Hello! :)

Also make sure that the bars of the hamster cage are not big enough to allow a budgie to push his head through. They try this sometimes when they are new and frightened,till they get used to everything.

Julie