Terrible Incident this weekend.

Guest RishaMoonshadow

Guest RishaMoonshadow

okay, I am really embarassed about this. I didn't post it when it happened because I was so upset and I just couldn't handle getting scolded for it from the rest of you.

My hubby hung a fly strip in the kitchen. I told him it had to come down so the birds didn't get stuck on it. But he forgot to take it down, and I forgot it was there and... you guessed it. Sunshine managed to fly right into it. Poor thing was stuck there and I had to peel him off of it. it pulled several feathers and left him a sticky mess. I spent about 45 minutes washing him with kid shampoo and a spray bottle. Some of the worse spots I just had to pull clumps out. The poor thing was soaked and looked like a drowned rat. After I had got him as clean as I could, I took him in the bathroom and turned the hair dryer on him on low. He actually seemed to enjoy that, to my surprise. I was also surprised that he didn't give me alot of fight when I was cleaning him. I think he was in shock from getting stuck and grateful that I rescued him. He actually climbed from my hand up on my neck (which he has never done on his own before) and nuzzled up against me.

End result, he looks pretty raggedy, he was already in the midst of a moult and this certainly didn't help (He still hasn't shed his tail feathers and before they were getting pretty raggedy, now they are just pathetic). But he seems fine otherwise. The only info I could find on pets and flystrips was an online post of a lady whose cat got caught in one and the vet told her it was not toxic and just to clean it the best she could.

Mr. Hormonal Sunshine has come down off his high horse a bit after this accident. He isn't snapping at me when I reach in his cage. I would have figured it would have put him off from me a bit, but as usual, I am astounded by how intelligent my feathered friend is... I truely believe he bonded to me while I was concerned for him and trying to clean him. I am not in ANY way reccomending this method of bonding... (Laughing out loud)... just expressing my amazement at his forgiveness and patience with this dumb human.

Risha

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

oh poor little one. I'm glad everything turned out in the end there. He isn't showing any signs for the worse after his accident? Your lucky he didn't lose any blood feathers :wine:

We wouldn't scold you! Just so happy it turned out okay. Accidents happen, we sometimes forget to look around from a 'birds perspective'. Hopefully you will keep the bond you have formed.

Guest RishaMoonshadow

He seems fine. Well enough to decide to be an imp and fly into my room to investigate Mae in her cage. He has NEVER flown into my room, but he did today and went straight for Mae's cage. He is going to have a hard time waiting 30 days for his companion. (Laughing out loud).

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

:(Laughing out loud): I bet he hear her or something and wanted to see just what was making that noise in is territory :wine

Guest RishaMoonshadow

I really don't know. Mae has been pretty quiet, well except when I let her out to fly and then try to get her on my finger. Then she squaks as she hops OVER my finger when I say "up". But with persistance she eventually tires of it and gets on my finger.

I let Sunshine sit on my finger and look at Mae from a distance for a few minutes. He seems intrigued... I'm going to have to keep my bedroom door closed.

Risha

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Oh! I'm so glad he's alright!!

Guest potter

Its kind of weird thinking a budgie stuck to a fly strip :D I am glad Sunshine is okay. I am sure when you think back of the incident, Sunshine looks :D

Guest birdie2008

Oh, I'm glad he's okay too. I know I would have panicked if that had happened to my birds, so I admire you being able to handle it so well. Accidents do happen.