tip for messy eaters

Guest morethanrubies

Guest morethanrubies

I just remembered something! (See what motherhood does to any memories that are not kid-related?) When I used to help my friend with her aviary, she used to feed the really messy birds (ring-necks, rosellas, etc) in the washed up platters from microwave meals. You know, like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice.

Anyway, many of these platters are divided so you can put a few different types of food in them. We'd set them on the floor of the cage, and even the birds who made a huge mess throwing things around were still "surrounded" by their food. This was also a great way to feed the cooked things we gave them, like pasta.

I thought this might work for budgies, since they like to truffle along the ground, in the wild, to search for seed. And, if they throw their food it's not out of sight, out of mind. These little platters can go in the dishwasher, too, if you turn it to the air dry setting. They're cheap, re-usable, and we never had a bird shred one up. We'd also put water in them for some of the smaller birds (finches, etc) to use as baths because they're shallow, and birds can easily get in & out.

Just my little tip for recycling & feeding your birds. Let me know if you try it.

:)

Guest birdie2008

I feed pasta to my budgies. I break it into small peices. They've tried both cooked and uncooked pasta and they seem to enjoy the cooked stuff better! :)

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

That's a really good idea!! I will definitely try it on my aviary birds!! :)

• Member ID:  875
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

Ooooh I might cook some pasta and add spinach for them tonight. Which pasta is best white or wholemeal?

Skylar adores cooked pasta, and Peeks will occaisonally have a nibble at crumbled up uncooked pasta (very rarely, though). They even have microwavable pasta made especially for birds! :D It comes in a variety of flavors, and I've tried it with Skylar... he loves it!

Guest morethanrubies

I haven't tried it on the birds I have right now, but they're beginning to be more open to new things. Thanks to the wheatgrass. I tried the Beak Appetit "cream of tweet" but they didn't seem to enjoy it. Maybe the texture turned them off? *sigh*

Guest JJ2571

SB used to pinch pasta of our plates. It was funny seeing a long strand of pasta being pulled off your plate with a budgie at the end of it. He would sit at the edge of the plate and help himself if allowed. :)

Guest JJ2571

SB was never any trouble with regard to food. He was very tiny but had a huge appetite. Every day whatever we had for dinner we would have to put a small amount on a tray for SB otherwise he had a bad habit of trying to walk through our dinner to get to what he wanted to eat.

I find it very hard now with Charlie and Joey as they will not touch anything but seed although I am still putting vegetables in their cage every day may be one day they will surprise me. :parrot: