Rosy Bourkes

Guest BUUZBEE

Guest BUUZBEE

I have found a breeder about 2 hours away that has a pair of 2 month olds & 4 month olds, I am VERY interested in buying.

Does anyone have any experience in keeping the 2 together in an aviary? I dont want to get them if they dont play well with the budgies.

They are beautiful and I think would make a great addition to the aviary.

what do you all think????

Guest morethanrubies

Oh, yay!

I have read that they get along well, and the one I saw at the pet store here was in a flight cage with a young cockatiel. Other people on this site (somewhere) have posted that they saw a rosy in with regular budgies in a pet store as well.

I'm so excited for you!! (Was I instrumental in you finding this breeder? If so, my finder's fee will be one baby bird. :) )

Where is the breeder? I'm so excited!!! (Did I mention that?)

Guest BUUZBEE
(Was I instrumental in you finding this breeder?  If so, my finder's fee will be one baby bird. :) )   

Where is the breeder?  I'm so excited!!!  (Did I mention that?)

Yes you were! i found the breeder on that website. She is up in San Louis Obispo. I CANT wait!

Guest morethanrubies

San Luis Obispo is so pretty! There are quite a few aviaries/breeders over on the coast, I've noticed. Perfect weather no doubt. What's the breeder/link?

Now, about that fee... :)

Post pics, let us know what you decide to do. (I'm sure you will.) Are you getting these for breeding, or for looking? I meant to ask that earlier.

Guest BUUZBEE

I new I'd here about that finders fee (Laughing out loud)!

she didnt have a webpage, just a link to her email. She breeds quit a few types of birds. I havent decided if I will breed them. for 1 they are too young to sex, and for 2, I still have ALL the babies I bred this summer! I just dont have the heart to sell/give them away! They all have such special little personalities! BUT I could always put them in the house to breed them next year :)

We'll see! (Laughing out loud), your not too far from me to get some babies if I do! :fear

Guest morethanrubies

I was kidding!! (Sort of.) I'm supposed to get my bigger cage today via FedEx, and was thinking of adding another bird. I probably won't, but it's nice to know I have the option if I hit a low point in my self control. :fear

Actually, the new cage probably isn't large enough for a 3rd, so your babies are safe. :) Have you made any progress on the albinos? That's really what I'm waiting for. Oh, well, and my husband to let me have an aviary. Better not hold my breath for that one...

Have fun on your trip to get your new birdies. Eat some fish n' chips for me. (When are you going?)

Guest BUUZBEE

Great news on the new cage! I bet you cant wait for the ding dong of the door for the fedex guy! At the rate I'm going, I will need another avary!

No such luck on the albinos :) With time I hope.

As long as I get all possitives on the forum, I will schedule to go up there hopefully on Sat.

Fingers crossed! But I for sure want EVERYONES input on this! So everyone type type type! :fear

Guest BUUZBEE

this is her...

Central Coast Birds

Breeder of Australian finches & Grass Parakeets

Breeder of Australian Finches: Lady Gouldians, Owls, Stars. And Breeder of Australian Grass Parakeets: Rosy Bourkes, Turquoisines, Scarlet-Chested Parakeets Email: laurel@laurelsherrie.com. Arroyo Grande, CA

Guest morethanrubies

I may have seen her listed before, years ago, when I was looking for finches. Sounds familiar, anyway. Good luck. I, for one, think you should go for it. :)

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

How exciting for you. :) However most people would advise you not to mix different species of birds. Budgies can be very territorial and aggressive little things and could hurt the rosy bourkes or the bourkes could hurt the budgies. If they don't get on do you have another cage that is big enough to house the bourkes?

Guest BUUZBEE
If they don't get on do you have another cage that is big enough to house the bourkes?

Hi Bea, yes I have a large cage that used to belong to my conure. and I have my other budgie cage that I use to put mickey & minnie in. I will have them quaranteened for at least a month anyway, so they will be in it then.

I am going saturday morning to check them out. and yes I will have that cage in the car, "just in case" (Laughing out loud)

I think I will be taking the hand fed ones, since they are tame. So I wont be breeding them, they are siblings. Unless I get rid of some of these babies I already have, I wont be breeding next year, there's no room! (Laughing out loud)

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

I have found a breeder about 2 hours away that has a pair of 2 month olds & 4 month olds,  I am VERY interested in buying.

Does anyone have any experience in keeping the 2 together in an aviary?  I dont want to get them if they dont play well with the budgies.

They are beautiful and I think would make a great addition to the aviary.

what do you all think????

I have 7 pairs of Bourkes and yes they get on well with the budgies. The budgies pick on the Bourkes alot though as the Bourkes are quite timid (except when you pick them up!). Budgies like to tear out Bourkes' feathers (they come out very easily so be careful), although none of my budgies have ever actually hurt a Bourke.

Oh, and their correct name is Rosa Bourke not Rosy.

I have a photo on my computer at home of my pair of Rosa's which I will post tonight, they just attempted their first clutch which the only baby died (usually does with Bourke's).

Bourkes have the sweetest personalities, just don't get in a whistling contest with them as you will lose! :P

Guest birdie2008

I think Bourke's parakeets are extremely quiet from what I've read and seen. I don't know about shooting their poos around though :wine

I've been looking and looking, and I just can't find one! :) Someone must breed one, surely?  Karen, how much is reasonable to pay for them?

Usual pricec for Rosa Bourkes from a breeder is $25 each. I really wouldn't expect anyone to charge more than that - prices increase for the mutations, but unless you want to breed them don't buy a dearer mutation as the personalities are the same and the Rosa is the prettiest mutation anyway.

You can advertise on www.petlink.com.au in the wanted section, that's usually where the breeders sell them.

Happy to help.

(I also have Turq's too but I'm not succesful with them!! :wine )

Karen. :D

Just wanted to find out more about Rosa Bourkes. Do they make alot of noise? Do they make loud noises? Do they shoot their poos around?  :wine

About the only time Rosa Bourke's get noisy is dawn & dusk which is when they are most active (and it's not really "noise" as such, just a sweet singing) - or if you have a whistling contest. Half the time you don't even know they are there (except when a budgies grabs one!).

Their poo's are solid and about the same size as a budgie and you can feed them exactly the same foods as budgies, so it's good not having to supply a different diet.

Karen. :)

I just remembered, I saved all my photo's into Photobucket last night! I can post them now - work is VERY slow no customers.

Here you go, ENJOY!!!!

Mrs Bourke on the left and Mr Bourke on the right (yeah I know, how original :wine )

MrMrsRosaBourke.jpg