Aloe Vera

Guest potter

Guest potter

I just bought a book for dummies and was reading it. Came to a section that lists the food that are hazardous to birds. This book is about parrots in general, all kinds. It says that aloe vera (medicinal plant) is toxic to birds. I remember there were past threads in the forum and most of us agree that aloe vera is fine for budgies and most of these informations come from the web but after reading this book, I wonder if we should stay away from feeding our budgies with aloe vera. Would like to hear more opinion from others on this.

I haven't read anywhere on this site that people FEED aloe vera to their budgies, more that the used it on any cuts and that kind of thing. Bit different to actually feeding it to the bird.

Guest potter

Seriously, I am confused too. I have always thought that aloe vera is good for birds until I read the Dummie book and it is actually written by a person who kept alot of birds and is an experienced avian vet. :mellow:

Guest birdie2008

Maybe the skin of the plant is?? Maybe the skin is poisonous, so you shouldn't keep it around birds, but the inside is fine???

I'm not an expert, just a theory...

*edit* just read the article all the way through, not just the first few sentences, and came to the part about the skin. Now I'm confused and maybe glad we don't have aloe in the house (maybe not-burnt to a crisp today at the water park! Need aloe!)

Edited by birdie2008
Guest potter

I checked the book again. It says according to ASPCA/National Animal Poison Control Center, aloe vera (medicinal plant) is in the list. I wonder of aloe vera (medicinal plant) is different from the usual aloe vera plant that we have. :nest:

Guest scully3915

I checked out that site, it says eucalyptus is toxic to birds, yet in Aus Budgies eat it all the time.Aloe vera i guess is medicinal and not eaten as a plant.

But some of the plants they say are safe seem dodgy to me, im no expert, but i was about to buy a eucalyptus.....now i dont know what to do :)

Guest pixie25

wild budgies supplement their diet with eucalyptus. thousands of years ago when there were wild budgies in aus but no people, there wasnt and decent natural growing fruit or veg so the birds stripped the eucalypt trees instead. thats what i have read. be careful what type of eucalyptus tree you buy, we all know how fussy budgies are and there may only eat certain types. other types may well be toxic.

ive never heard of aloe vera being fed to birds either, but i remember reading that it was good. :)

Edited by pixie25
Guest scully3915

Im buying it more for me Pixie, but i just thought it would make a change from dandilion leaves in the garden! seriously i have found one thats okay. Its the one with the long leaves, forgotten the name.But its hardy and hardy is good, as i have not got green fingers. Ive noticed some members in Aus have it in thier avairys too.

shhh Grahams trying to say 'nice bird' (Laughing out loud), hes sitting on my lap top as i write this and im sure hes trying to talk.

Mmm, I know that koalas will only eat certain types of eucalyptus too! Does any Aussie know what the real name of the common eucalypt is? I'll ring some plant nurseries and see if I can find out for you.