Wing clipping

Guest birdie2008

Guest birdie2008

Okay I've got four budgies(I'm babysitting two birds for my dental hygienist at the moment) in need of a wing trim at the moment. I've done them before by myself and with an assistant (this time my brother, when he wakes up). I just can't remember how many flight feathers you're supposed to trim. I think its seven, but I couldn't find my book that has info on the topic. I searched the rest of my books and magazines(three shelves worth), but found nothing. Can someone help me?

:blush:

J

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

It depends on how much you want the bird to still be able to fly. Try just trimming the outer 3 or 4 and if that doesn't work do 1 or 2 more until you have reached the desired effect. :blink:

When we clipped Pandora's wings, (s)he was still able to fly after leaving only the outer two feathers. She can still get some distance even with a rather short clip. Experiment until you find what you want, while being careful not to overstress the bird?

• Member ID:  70
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

Experiment until you find what you want, while being careful not to overstress the bird?

surly you shouldnt experiment with something like this go to a vet who will know first time

Well not experimenting with figuring out how to clip, obviously. ;P But if you know what you're doing you can experiment to find the clip that best suits the bird. The vet doesn't always know best, though. Our vet clipped Leo so short he fell like a rock.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I'm in agreement with Bea. Start with the outer feathers. Don't leave the outer feathers and clip the inner ones - it leaves those feathers too unprotected and makes it easier for the bird to knock them. 7 feathers usually will make your bird very grounded - unless you have a really strong flyer that is too many.

Guest birdie2008

Thanks! The vet clipped six or seven, can't remember the number, but Libbi and Peati both fell like rocks. My brother works for a pet store and clips wings there, so he taught me how to hold the budgies, and I have clipped them several times in the past, but it was usually just trimming the outer feathers that grew in, so I knew where to clip to. Now I can't find my wing clipping reference book and needed help. Thanks all for your advice!

Guest birdie2008

Always do! I ALWAYS check for blood feathers, put the bird back to relax, check the other one for blood feathers, wait a few hours so they no longer stressed, then clip them. Afterwards I give them millet :D

Guest pixie25
Experiment until you find what you want, while being careful not to overstress the bird?

surly you shouldnt experiment with something like this go to a vet who will know first time

what it means is experiment with trimming a few and having a test flight, and if necessary clipping one more feather one each side at a time, to get good flight but not height. even a good vet will do this, to make sure that both bird and owner are comfortable. :D every bird is different, when it comes to trims.

casper had to have all but one primary on each side clipped as he could still zoom away with ease.