Sign in to follow this  
Guest nash86

iodine block

Guest nash86

I bought an iodine block from Wilkinson's yesterday, cost me all of 39p just to please my Nana really as she said she'd bought her budgie one. Do my budgies really need it?

I always have iodine/mineral/cuttlefish blocks in my birds cages. I dont really believe they get the true nutrients etc in captivity that they can in the wild. Having the blocks there for them means that if they feel they are lacking in something, they can nibble at the block to replenish it.

Guest Lin

I've got one in all my cages/aviaries. Can't say that my birds have ever touched it, but I feel that it's important to offer it in case of deficiencies.

Guest telmadee

our hamsters and rabbit both have salt blocks in their homes, but both think its some kind of toilet facilty, instead of licking it, they all wee on it, buti may take a trip to wilkos myself and invest in one of those iodine blocks then

Guest pixie25

iodine deficiencies in budgies can cause a whole host of problems, particularly thyroid problems, which causes them to make a squeaking noise when they breath.

also cuttlefish bone is very improtant as a calcium source, calcium deficiency can also cause a host of problems, including lameness.

always offer a mineral/iodine block as well as a cuttlebone to your budgies. it will help towards a balanced diet and helps them to keep their beaks sharp. :)

Guest nash86

Thanks for all your replies :) My budgies already have a couple of cuttlefish bones in their cage, I don't think they've touched the iodine block yet but I'll keep it in there anyway.

Don't quote me on this but I don't think hamsters or rabbits need a salt supplement in their diet if they're fed a good mix of food, fresh fruit and veg and obviously plenty of hay in the rabbit's case. I don't have salt supplements in my rabbits' or hamster's enclosures and never have done, then again I've never had an iodine block in my budgie's cage! I'll ask on a rabbit and hamster forum.

Guest telmadee
I bought an iodine block from Wilkinson's yesterday, cost me all of 39p just to please my Nana really as she said she'd bought her budgie one. Do my budgies really need it?

went to pets at home for some other things and picked up an iodine block form there 99p from there, it shows how much they charge extra the cheeky minxes, so next time wilkos it is (Laughing out loud), but they have a good nibble at it so i suppose i'l let them off :glare:

Guest smilyl

my budgies have a iodine and minarel *plain* they also have a cutle fish wich they refuse to eat and a banna calciam bloke *shaped like bannans* and 2 calciam perches and they seem to enjoy them

Hey guys!

I have always offered my budgies fresh veggies, iodine block..and a cuttlebone! But they only touch to veggies and cuttlebone..so as of this second..ive been grating (with a new mini nail file) the iodine block..into the big container i have for the food before it goes into their cage! This way, the iodine is on the food, so when they eat the food, they get iodine!!!...i think it will work great as i want to breed my guys in the spring..so this way i am making sure they get minerals!!!....

ps-should i also grate the cuttlebone as ive only see 2 of the three actually chew it...or would grating it decrease shortening their beeks???...so should i leave it whole...and let them sharpen their beeks???..or grate it up as well???....suggestions please!!!!!.....

Thx guys

Kirby