how long does it take?!

Guest lilyloo

Guest lilyloo

Hi everyone :D

I'm just wondering how long it normally takes for a budgie to start to talk - Milo is 10 weeks old now and there still seems to be no sign of a little word! :D I speak to him regularly and repeat his name for a few minutes every morning and evening with my mouth close to the cage at his level.

Also, he is still very unsure when it come to stroking him and often tries to bite any finger that dares to touch him :devil: - is this normal? - he is handled every day.

Thanks all

Laura xxx :)

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Hi! It can take many weeks before your budgiewill talk. My Teapot says loads, but it took weeks and weeks till he said his first word, he was about 5 months old then. After that there was no stopping him!

Many budgies object to being stroked, they will fly to you, happily sit on yu, but often its a case of DONT TOUCH ME! :)

• Member ID:  917
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  835
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/10/1989

I'm pretty sure that some birds speak better than others, and some are simply just slow learners. My grandma's friend has a bird and he is always chattering away, he'll pick up words in a couple of hours, but then there are some who find it a bit more difficult. Keep working on it, I'm sure he'll pick it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

as the other guys have mentioned, it takes different budgies different lengths of time to bond, however, there are a few tricks you can do to help things along.

whenever you are talking to Milo, make sure there are no background noises to distract him.

Stay calm if he flutters around in the cage, never withdraw your hand from the cage until he is relaxed and on his perch. If you remove your hand when he pecks at it or throws a hissy fit , he will soon learn that by doing that he can make you go away !.

If possible , keep his cage next to you as much as you can.He will watch you and learn that you are safe to be around, even while watching the TV or chatting on the phone, he will get used to you being in his space. I used to sit and read aloud for an hour or so, it can be anything, just use a soft tone of voice and make eye contact when he shows interest. Mirror his movements, if he bobs his head, bob yours, when he chirups, say his name, blink slowly and pretend to nod off, this is very calming for your bird.

Don,t be tempted to touch him untill he is finger tame, don,t put your hand over him or behind him as that can be threatening for him.

I,ve found that the best way to start physical contact is while holding a treat .

A 3 inch piece of millet spray held to him should attract him to you ( he needs to be used to having millet spray in his cage first before trying this. ). As he eats the millet, slowly and gently use a finger of the same hand to touch his cheek or belly, almost by accident. If he nips, don,t move , just keep still and calm, let him eat for a while, then withdraw your hand. never let him drive you away.

Try to experiment to find treats he likes, but always hold them in your hand to feed him, Snowy ( my budgie ) loves boiled sweet corn, hold one ear of corn between finger and thumb,open end towards Milo, squeeze gently and the soft inside will ooze out, he may take a few tries but he will get used to it.

After he readily takes treats from your hand, you can decide on a more permanant spot to put his treats, either inside the cage thru the bars or in a small dish, this way he will become used to having you around and look forward to your visits.

After a lot of hard work, one day you will find that he has fallen asleep on your hand or shoulder, when that happens you know he is totally at ease with his new mum !.

best of luck !

cal. :D

Guest potter

hmm..i never had a budgie who can talk but I believe they talk in their own language and when they do speak in human language, it might be very soft or hard to hear...I think I read somewhere that some budgies speak clearly than the others...so keep up the effort..even if your darling budgie do not talk at the end, they are still lovely little creatures :D