Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrokenDreamz

How?

Guest BrokenDreamz

For some times now ive wanted to breed budgies. I just dont know What to do. What will i need what will the birds need? ive read many many things on the net but everything is different. and tips or pointers? i really would love to do this at one point

Guest budgeover

i would buy a book on breeding and read it cover to cover. If that didn't put me off i would visit my breeder again and see for myself how time consuming and hard work breeding is. If that didn't work i would ask my breeder what he does when his baby budgies need hand feeding or if one or two or more of his budgies got sick. Then i would be put off and just keep enjoying listening to everyone elses stories on here and watching my one and only budgie who i can take good care of and give 100% attention to.

:)

Edited by budgeover

Guest BrokenDreamz

(Laughing out loud) i dont get put off of stuff like that i would still go for itand try my hardest!

Guest eterri

The most important question you wanna ask yourself is "Why do you want to breed?"

And the answer to whether or not you should really depends on your personal feelings and morals regarding budgies and whether or not you can realistically provide care for the babies that result whether or not they go to other homes.

I sometimes get the urge to start breeding but I'd only do it if I could do it as near to perfect as possible. I feel that the parents should be 100% certainly not related and clear of health problems and preferably, you should be able to trace them back at least a couple of generations. I think they should be socialized and tame and given all the love and stimulation and care that "pet" birds get. I have a lot of personal beliefs regarding breeding but I know many (probably most) people don't go for that amount of stictness or "perfection" (not that anyone or anything is perfect, it's impossible but you can strive for it and what you end up with is the best that you can do). If more people took it seriously, we'd have budgies that were easier to socialize, less skittish, healthier, and with longer life spans. That should be a breeder's goal. :)