Help! Fast!

Guest zoeandkiwi

Guest zoeandkiwi

I dont htink he had a night fright, but Im a very sound sleeper so I might not have herd him (They are in my room) I did hear someone fall at the beginning of the night though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eterri

If there was enough blood loss to do damage, they could give him a tranfusion but I really doubt that it was that serious. What they would probably do is try to locate where the feather came from and figure out if there is one that needs to be pulled or maybe treat the area with something to prevent infection. He'll probably be okay but I'd take him in just to be on the safe side. If there is something that needs to be pulled, it could reopen and cause him to bleed again.

• Member ID:  875
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

I dont know its entirely up to you whatever makes you feel at peace for him - Im glad he is acting normal though just keep a good eye on him.

Guest zoeandkiwi

okay I just checked him again (he loves me right now! Not!) And his feathers are all clean and there still only the little smear that I though could be fresh blood. Im thinking that he cant get it too preen off. Everything else looks nice and clean.

Im going to not go to the vets for now,I will be home all day to keep an eye on him. I will make sure he keeps up his activity level and eats. His body should recouperate the blood pretty quickly right.

I dont think that he lost enough blood that he needs a transfusion. I think he would look sleepy and would not be playfull then.

Yeah thats true he would be lethargic and sleepy and if he isnt I guess thats a good sign and once he starts gobbling and drinking he should buil back up pretty quickly.

Keep us posted wont you?

Anytime I'll catch up with his progress on Monday - my weekend now - yippee!

Guest zoeandkiwi

Have a good Weekend!

Andy- I did phone the vets office and the lady on the phone was not very helpfull. She wanted me to bring him in or just keep an eye on him at home (it was my call) but she could not anser any questions i had.

i wouldnt think it would cause any problems if you are just taking the cage outside and not hadling him, although if he tends to get all excited like my birds when they are outside its probarbly not a good idea, i wonder why the receptionist wouldnt let you talk to the vet just for a couple of minutes? thats stupid :D

Guest zoeandkiwi

THis is STUPID! I was so mad

I phone at about 8:30 and the office was not open yet so you get redirected to the emergency service line. I explained to the lady what was happening and she took my name and number and said the vet would phone me or something like that.

An hour later and the office phones me to book an appointment. If he was still bleeding badly and I had no Idea what to do, he would have bled to death! Stupid people!

Guest zoeandkiwi

Kiwi is still doing fine today. No more sign of any blood and he is his active normal self today.

Im just worried that it might open up again or something. Last time I looked yesterday, I could not even see where it was to begin with.

I found the culprit too! On tthe floor:

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

Guest zoeandkiwi

It does not come to a point at all, it has a hollow end. If there was some stuck in, how long would it take to push out, or not be a potential risk anymore?

Im going to edmonton tomoro afternoon and my sister will be watching Zoe and Kiwi. She would not be able to check him out... Do you think he will be okay?

Guest eterri

Sounds like it was broken off. I have no idea how long it would take for the other end to come out or if it would fall out on it's own. Well, it would definitely come out once the bird starts molting and replacing feathers but other than that, I don't know.

I could say I think he'd be okay while you are gone but there's no way to know. Is there any way you can get him to a vet or have someone else take him for you (since you'll be gone)? You'd at least have the peace of mind that he's okay.

i would have thought it would be probarbly fine because budgies can have feathers clipped without causing them any health problems jut leving some of the feather in, but it might be better to see the vet to be safe

Guest eterri

When clipping feathers you always have to check for blood feathers. If you cut into those, they'll bleed because they have an active blood supply. In that case it would be the same, you'd stop the bleeding and probably pull out the rest of the feather so the bleeding doesn't start again.

Normally that doesn't happen. They're just trimmed kind of like a haircut or nail trim and you can leave the rest of the feather intact because it doesn't have an active blood supply.

Guest zoeandkiwi

Wouldn't the active blood supply stop. Not all feathers have a blood supply at the same time. So how does the body know when to switch to a different feather?

Guest eterri
Wouldn't the active blood supply stop. Not all feathers have a blood supply at the same time. So how does the body know when to switch to a different feather?

Broken blood feathers may stop bleeding if left untouched, but as soon as they are bumped, bleeding usually commences. The only permanent solution is to gently, but firmly, pull the feather from its follicle and apply pressure to the follicle area with tissue, gauze or Quick-Stop? until the bleeding stops.

Once a blood feather is pulled, the feather-growth process begins all over again, and a new blood feather will soon replace the pulled one. Once a feather reaches maturity, the blood supply degenerates, the pulp dries up and the calamus develops into a hard shaft.

Edited by eterri
Guest zoeandkiwi

okay, so I dont think it will stay like this forever though... It is now a dea feather, it cant grow no more... So I think that the blood to the feather should dry up. That would make sense to me.

Guest eterri

Well, the thing is once it is pulled the process starts all over again. That's why it's so important to pull the entire feather. Otherwise, there will still be a blood supply for a while (not sure how long, but it'll be there because it doesn't go away until the feather matures.) A broken feather can't mature... I hope that makes sense, I'm horrible at explaining things. :blink: