flew into the window

Guest nash86

Guest nash86

Yesterday by budgie flew into the window. I thought she hit it only lightly but I still put her back in her cage and covered her for the rest of the day and night. This morning she didn't come out, and she usually does to see if she can get a few bran flakes from my bowl, she has barely made a sound all day. Shes been sitting on her swing all day and had her eyes shut for a little while. I was whistling at her and she made a squeak that I've never heard before. Shes not tame but she let me place her on her water trough (she hasn't drank or ate all day) but she sat there for a little while then shuffled and sat on her perch, where shes still sitting with eyes shut.

I can't get her to a vet or avian vet today, should I cover her over and hope shes better in the morning? Could it be that she has a headache, with having her eyes shut? I know it could be something more serious than that too. I'm reluctant to cover her over because I don't want to end up lifting the cover tomorrow and finding her dead on the floor :D

I've searched the forum but in the posts I found other people's birds didn't seem to be too damaged by flying into a window.

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Poor birdie. I'd call the vet and see if they can't see you on an emergency basis today. It sounds as if she might have a concussion or could be in shock. Your bird should have been her normal self soon after hitting the window if there was no injury. Please call your vet again and explain the situation and how long she has been acting this way.

Guest pixie25

i just posted something about his in your new cage thread nash, i hope she is okay - it sounds like a bit of shock, but i agree after reading this post that its a good idea to take her along just to be on the safe side.

Guest BudgieLover14

Aww I hope shes okay! Poor thing. :(

This is a good reason why you SHOULD clip your birds wings, especially if you plan to take them out if they don't have a flight cage. You are doing your birds a FAVOR- its not cruel, it could save your birds life and has. So many owners decide not to clip their birds wings because they think its cruel, but before you know it, you forgot to bring down the shade and your bird flies into the window, or maybe the window or door was open by accident and your bird flies out. Mirrors are especially dangerous. Birds may even fly into walls. I'm really sorry that this happened, but really, take this as a lesson learned everyone. Save your birds life and clip their wings. I can and most likely WILL happen. Even by accident. :(