they won't go in!

Guest L&L

Hi! I'm new joining the forum and i have a question to ask.

I have put a nesting box attached to my budgie's cage, and it's been there for quite a few weeks now. But there's no sign that they've ever been in there, and when we are actually with them they never go in :D

They're both ready to mate but my female has a foot that's just finished healing, so would that affect anything. I also have a few other points maybe as to why they're not going into their nesting box.

Please help! In desperate need!

Thanks everybody!

:(

Guest Vicky

Hi - I should not worry to much if she is ready to lay she will go in there - there is not alot you can do to coax them into the box as far as I am aware.

Probably a daft question but are you sure they are not the same sex because some can be little so and so's in hiding their true gender!

She may have already been in there without you knowing it - my females both have roughed up the egg dip in the box so see if there is any loose wood in there!

Good luck and be patient!

:(:D

Hi - I should not worry to much if she is ready to lay she will go in there - there is not alot you can do to coax them into the box as far as I am aware.

Probably a daft question but are you sure they are not the same sex because some can be little so and so's in hiding their true gender!

She may have already been in there without you knowing it - my females both have roughed up the egg dip in the box so see if there is any loose wood in there!

Good luck and be patient!

Thanks for your help, sorry i didn't reply sooner. I just didn't check :D

Thanks again!

• Member ID:  984
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3,475
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/04/1967

Hi! I'm new joining the forum and i have a question to ask.

I have put a nesting box attached to my budgie's cage, and it's been there for quite a few weeks now. But there's no sign that they've ever been in there, and when we are actually with them they never go in :(

They're both ready to mate but my female has a foot that's just finished healing, so would that affect anything. I also have a few other points maybe as to why they're not going into their nesting box.

Please help! In desperate need!

Thanks everybody!

:D

How old are your birds? You don't want to breed them if they are to old or to young. :) Your hens foot may be still sore and she wont want any male on her, because she has to hang on hard which may hurt her foot.

Have you got a photo of your birds and if so can you post it or more? We can make sure you have a male and female..

:P What are your other points as to why they wont go in the nesting box?? :ygbudgie:

Umm...she's quite aggressive towards him and it looks like she doesn't like him very much. :yelling: He's very shy and she's definitely not. I think they are the right age to breed because i've seen all the physical signs. i'll try to post a picture as soon as possible.

Her foot has fully healed now, so i don't think it can be that, also the fact that there's only two of them, and i read that there should idealy be more. Is that true?

Finally my dad made their nestiong box, and it doesn't really look like the commercial ones, and i think that the female won't accept it.

I'm really confused now, so any help would be appreciated! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! These are pics of my much loved budgies! unfortunately, they are a bit scared of the camera, so i couldn't get a good shot :D

Can any-one tell me how old they are? Help is appreciated!

Thanks heaps!

P7050004.jpg

Lucas

P7050005.jpg

Leela

P7050001.jpg

Both of them together!

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Awww...cuties! Lucas looks heaps like my Lime! :D

Guest RishaMoonshadow

Maybe they just are not compatible as mates. If I stuck you in a room with someone, that wouldn't make you want to mate with them necessarily....

Risha

Hey guys!

I'll try to get a picture of the nesting box asap...there's one with her IN it but that's all you can see, as in you can only see the hole...and it's on the other com. promise i'll try to get one oup!

Yeah, and about them not being mates, that cloud be VERY possible. But something is strage about my budgies...

Like they'll be feeding each other and doing all the "couple" things, and then SHE'LL be pecking him, like really hard :devil: And then he'll get scared and start flying around CRAZILY in his cage...but that's okay, we have a biggish cage!

L&L

Sorry, i forgot to say something earlier :yellowhead:

She was only in the nesting box because she was scared of the camera and went in there to hide.

How long have they been together? My Scruffy (the male) took forever to become interested in Gypsy. And when he finally was, Gypsy was sometimes interested, and other times acted like he was some kind of sexual deviant! (Laughing out loud). They get along fine now, and have an egg. It probably took about a month all up for them to start acting like they were going to mate.

um.....they've been together since the beginning of may, so around 2 and a bit months, and they sometimes LOVE each other, and then right after that, she nearly bites his head off....not literally i'm just exaggerating. So what do you think about their situation???

Mmm, not sure. These are the first budgies I've bred. I'm sure someone like Bea or Chirpy will be on later, and they will know for sure. Good luck

okay here they are!!!!! nesting box! it's one my dad made so it's not what you think it'll look like, maybe it's the shape...

well, have a look and i'll let you be the judge! Oh, and i've included an extra one of Leela in it, cause you'll get bored of nesting boxes :yellowhead:

P7070008.jpg

inside view

P7070007.jpg

front view

P7070006.jpg

side view

P7050003.jpg

leela inside!

OMG SORRY, i forgot to resize it, can any-one resize it?

I'm really sorry :yellowhead:

well, at least you know what it looks like...up close..

I really like that nest box. Very stylish. :yellowhead:

hehe...thank you. My dad likes to think so, i'll tell him :yellowhead:

So you don't think that it's the nesting box, like the size or shape, that puts them off going in there?

L&L

Well i supose maybe all the extra space going upwards could put them off but as your hen is already hanging out in it a bit it can't be too scary. :yellowhead: And in the wild budgies nest in all different places which are various shapes and sizes. :D

Thanks, maybe i'll try to fix that, Also, there's a gorgeous budgie in a pet store up the road, it's a male so we'll hopefully have no problems with him settling in, and because it's winter we'll keep it inside because the winter nights could kill them if they're not used to it. But i want to know if it's not a good idea to bring home a new budgie while i'm trying to get my pair to breed.

thanks again :yellowhead:

Guest gillian

The box seems fine,

But i would put some sawdust around the gaps between the square piece of wood at the bottom of the box and the sides,Just to prevent small babies from getting knocked into the gaps and lost.

GILL. :D

Wouldn't that be bad coz the sawdust is really fine and could like get into their eyes or they breathe it in? But if i could use it that'd be the best, coz i have lots of sawdust at home.

Have to agree, I think sawdust woudl be really bad for their lungs. I suggest wood shavings (and I wait to be corrected by others! (Laughing out loud)) but make sure the shavings are not of something like treated pine.

okay thanks, i don't have any wood shavings, can you buy it?

Also, if i wanted to use something else, what could i use?

Finally, i went to the pet store today and found nesting material (it was feather-like material) for budgies, is this good, and i thought budgies don't like nesting material.