Lady Pook

Price Of Avian Vet Visit

In the western USA, in Oregon, Portland region, there are precious few Avian Vets. Having moved to 6 miles south of Lake Oswego area; a fancy Portland suburb where there is a bird vet, I decided to drive to the avian veterinarian’s office to meet the doctor, be aware of travel time and say hello. I wanted to know the face of the doctor who might meet my four budgies. I found the office a frantic place, due to a number of emergency visits; bird owners sitting nervously in the waiting area. I still have yet to meet the doctor, of course, with the pandemic, it’s not likely to be soon. However, i was told that a “well-bird” checkup would cost $84 dollars a budgie, with possible $150 per bird if any test was needed. Budgies in the Portland Oregon region retail for $25 each. DNA gender tests can range from $45 to $60 in young budgies. I found out that in some pieds and other mutations, cere color and detail can sometimes not be a trusted indicator of gender. There needs to be a safe way for serious bird keepers to learn how to 🧬 DNA test our own birds correctly. 

$150 a budgie for a simple test is too steep for my budget. We must find a better way.