Can I Tame Two Budgies Who Were Roughly Handled?

• Member ID:  9,115
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  15
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone! I’m new here, but my name is Aleesha  :)

So, I recently bought two new baby budgies on Saturday, on the 25th of April. One is 8 weeks old (Skye) and the other is around 5 weeks (Sunny). The breeder told us that they were both male by rubbing their cloaca, but I’m not sure if this is an effective way of sexing (If anyone knows, please let me know). They were both supposedly hand-raised, but when we bought them home, they were terrified, which is understandable. The second or third day we had them, my dad grabbed them out of the cage, and forced them to be held as he said this would make them get used to you. They were both so, so scared. He sort of cornered them in this little box we had and forced them to jump onto his hand. With Sunny, he placed him against his chest and held him there. I think he did this for at least three days, around 10-15 minutes each time til I finally got him to stop. They’re both quite afraid of hands now, but I’ve been sitting outside and they’re a lot calmer now but still quite far from being tame.

So, my question is, is it still possible to tame them, at least so they will be able to step-up and aren’t so scared anymore. I’m willing to put in as much effort as is needed, although I can’t afford purchasing a second cage to tame them separately. If it is possible, can you please give me an estimated timeframe if I’m able to spend at least 4hours with them daily? I don't mind if it takes a long time, but we have a holiday coming up in December so I want them to be calm for whoever is caring for them then. Do you also have any tips for taming them?

Thank you so much, I can’t wait to read your replies. I hope we can get to know each other lots better as I spend more time here. Also, feel free to ask for more details if my description was unclear.

Take care, everyone :)

874C46D2-7922-489A-BDAB-0AD807BB5BA0.jpeg