Lone Female Laying Eggs

Guest Marilyn

Guest Marilyn

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 2 year old female budgie. A few weeks ago, she began shredding the paper lining her cage into fine pieces. About a week ago, I found an egg. I removed it, only to have her replace it with another. She now has two eggs and broods them. I was told that if I let her keep her eggs, she would eventually lose interest. When I am home, she's out of her cage, playing as always, but when I'm in other areas of the house or not at home, she remains on the eggs. Is there something I should be doing, or will she stop this on her own?

Guest budgeover

i have no idea.

is it cruel to keep removing the eggs?

is it cruel to let her keep sitting on the egss waiting for them to hatch when they never will?

it sounds like she just wants to be a mummy.

bless her.

i hope someone who knows what they are talking about comes on to help you.

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Most of what I've read says you should just leave the eggs and she will lose interest. She knows they are not fertile, or she wouldn't leave them to play. :P It's just a hormonal thing, not all single hens will lay eggs. I think she will stop brooding them on her own. Just keep a watch on them, if they turn grey toss them.

Guest Marilyn
Most of what I've read says you should just leave the eggs and she will lose interest.  She knows they are not fertile, or she wouldn't leave them to play.  :P  It's just a hormonal thing, not all single hens will lay eggs.  I think she will stop brooding them on her own.  Just keep a watch on them, if they turn grey toss them.

Thanks so much for your help!