Unusual droppings since injury

Guest Lyn

Can anyone help me as I'm really concerned about Monty. Two weeks ago he had a terrible accident and was trodden on. He hurt his wing and his eye, and has been slowly recovering. The good news is physically he seems to be almost fully recovered now - he is eating normally and singing and can still fly.

But since his accident his droppings have changed from very dark green with a white centre to a pale green with lots of white and much wetter. (Sorry to be so graphic!). I'm really worried in case he has damanged something internally. Can you help?

Guest eterri

You should get him to an avian vet. They'll be able to figure out what's up. I wish you luck and please let us know how it turns out.

You should get him to an avian vet. They'll be able to figure out what's up. I wish you luck and please let us know how it turns out.

My nearest avian vet is 45 minutes drive away and I don't know if it would be too stressful to put him through such a long drive. He does seem to be healthy apart from the droppings. Does anyone know what green droppings mean - like is it a sign of kidney damage or maybe it's just stress?

Thanks

Guest eterri

Bright green droppings can be quite a few things. I have a friend whose budgie had those and now he's at the avian hospital being treated for anemia and may not make it. It could be possible that the bird is bleeding internally and is anemic because of this.

Bright green droppings can also be an indication of Pscittacosis. No matter what it is, he needs an avian vet. Just put him in a small box or cage and cover it on the drive. My avian vet is an hour away but even my most flighty bird has done fine on the trip there.

No one but an avian vet will be able to properly diagnose and treat your bird so please take him immediately! :wub:

Guest budgeover

i know this sounds silly but has your budgie had any greens to eat lately? these can cause dropppings to change.????

just a thought

i know this sounds silly but has your budgie had any greens to eat lately? these can cause dropppings to change.????

just a thought

He's not a big eater of greens, so I don't think this is the cause. But I have started giving him vitamin drops in his water to give him a boost, I wonder if that could be the problem? MaybeI should take away the vitamins for a few days and see what happens.

Guest budgeover

how long have his droppings been like this?

is he showing any other signs of illness?

is he drinking more than usual?

how long have his droppings been like this?

is he showing any other signs of illness?

is he drinking more than usual?

They have been like this for almost two weeks now, since the day he was injured. I haven't noticed him drinking more than usual, and he seems to be almost back to normal now. He can fly again, is eating normally and is quite happyand chirpy. I think he is not quite as strong as he was yet, but he is getting better each day.

Guest budgeover

well it doesn't seem like he is ill. But you can never tell with these little things. They hide their illnesses until its too late.

Take him to the vets. they will check him out and tell you what is wrong.

Guest TeGz

Get your bird to the vet and get him checked out to be on the safe side. My budgie had green dropping with white which we thought was because he'd been eating heaps of his greens. Over the next week or so, they gradually got waterier and waterier, then started to go greyey green all over. He actually had inflamation of his liver due to an illness.

Your bird may be fine, but it's also possible there is some bruising which is causing the droppings, or something else entirely. Cover your bird up in the cage with no toys or whatever and strap it onto the back seat. Or if someone else is going with you put him in a box and have them hold it. If it's done carefully your bir should be fine :) Personally for a trip of that length i'd leave him in the cage but PLEASE get your bird to the vet, I cannot stress that enough!

Guest Cindy

Please take him to a Vet. As he was trodden on he could have internal damage. It does not take much pressure to injure a bird.

Cindy

Get your bird to the vet and get him checked out to be on the safe side. My budgie had green dropping with white which we thought was because he'd been eating heaps of his greens. Over the next week or so, they gradually got waterier and waterier, then started to go greyey green all over. He actually had inflamation of his liver due to an illness.

Your bird may be fine, but it's also possible there is some bruising which is causing the droppings, or something else entirely. Cover your bird up in the cage with no toys or whatever and strap it onto the back seat. Or if someone else is going with you put him in a box and have them hold it. If it's done carefully your bir should be fine :) Personally for a trip of that length i'd leave him in the cage but PLEASE get your bird to the vet, I cannot stress that enough!

Thanks for your help. I'll take him to the vets on Monday and get him checked again. I think you're right, he might have hurt his liver when he was trodden on. Hopefully he will recover, but I don't want to take any chances. Did your budgie recover from the inflamation of his liver. What was the treatment for him?

Guest TeGz

have a squizz at my post worried about Merlin. Actually not sure if it was liver or kidneys, I can't quite remember! Yes he is on his way to recovering. He should be fine.

Guest Trikkivix

I cannot stress how much I agree with the last few statements....VET...Vet....Vet.... As has been said so many times before..they hide their illness's so well..Please let us know what the vet says..

My thoughts are with you and little budgie :):D

Guest Budgielover13
Can anyone help me as I'm really concerned about Monty.  Two weeks ago he had a terrible accident and was trodden on.  He hurt his wing and his eye, and has been slowly recovering.  The good news is physically he seems to be almost fully recovered now - he is eating normally and singing and can still fly. 

But since his accident his droppings have changed from very dark green with a white centre to a pale green with lots of white and much wetter.  (Sorry to be so graphic!).  I'm really worried in case he has damanged something internally.  Can you help?

he might have an infection my budges droppings changed took him to the vets they gave him antibiotics and that did the trick

Guest Trikkivix

Hi Again :D

Im so pleased it all worked out okay..Ive thought a few times but didnt like to ask in case it was bad news :D:(

I bet you are feeling better too now...

I like happy endings :glare: :(

Guest RishaMoonshadow

Actually, we still haven't heard back from Lyn, the original poster. Lyn? what happened at the vets? Hope everything is okay.

Risha

Guest Trikkivix
Actually, we still haven't heard back from Lyn, the original poster.  Lyn?  what happened at the vets?  Hope everything is okay.

Risha

thanks Rish..I actually mis-read it.....Oh I do hope the little fella is okay :( :glare: