Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ellie

New Budgie - and beak question

Guest Ellie

okay, Got a new budgie on Saturday - YAY! :) - for the children of course you understand :fear He's called Boris and is 10 weeks old, and still quite shy but we're working on that and he generally seems a chirpy little fellow. Only problem is I noticed since I got him home that he has a very long beak, which is kind of in two bits. By this I mean he has a normal strong growth of beak, then the rest looks weaker, like it needs to be trimmed or something. Almost like it's broken away and is seperate, yet isn't. Gah, very difficult to describe!

He doesn't seem to have a problem eating, just wondering if I should try to take him back to petshop for trim, or whether it'll get better on cuttle fish\mineral block. I really don't want a vet bill this early on in the relationship, but equally I don't want to do it myself as I'm trying to teach him my hand is not something to be feared (and I've never done a beak before, only nails so don't want to get it wrong, hurt him and make him really scared.) What do you folks think?

Cheers,

Ellie

Guest pixie25

budgies rarely need a beak trim. sometimes the beak is a little flakey around the bottom? could that be what it is? with access to cuttelbone the flakes should come off by themselves.

if the beak actually has a big split in it then you would really need to take him to the vet. only a vet is qualified to do a beak trim. if a beak trim is done wrong then he might not be able to eat properly so it is always best if a vet does it.

its a really good idea to take your new buddy along to the vet for a well bird checkup anyway. if you take him to an avian vet they can run all sorts of simple tests to make sure there isnt anything sinister lurking unseen.

hope to hear more of your adventures soon :) glad to hear he is settling in well.

Guest Ellie

The split isn't vertical, it's horizontal, I'd say (being very inexpert wrt birds though you understand) that's it's got too long and the end is weak hence the seperation. I guess it's a trip to the vet - hubby will go mad. :) Will phone the shop tomorrow as well just to let them know in case.

Cheers,

Ellie

Guest pixie25

i always go to the vets expecting it to cost a bomb and then when it turns out cheaper than i expected i am always pleasantly suprised :)

hope all goes well, keep us posted

pixie25

Do you mean like a second layer is growing underneath??? Is that how it looks??? Cause that would just be the beak growing.....if you supply Borris with cuttlefish and mineral block he will use them to keep his beak the right length. :)

Guest BrokenDreamz

Doesnt actually sound like its a problem just sounds like the beats growing as bea said just supply him with a cuttlebone/ mineral block and he should be fine the line bit it just the difference between the new growth and old he should be fine but a picture would help