• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  30
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I recently received two budgies, a male and a female, from a pet store as a gift. I'd researched budgies and had all equipment needed to own them, so I was excited to welcome Pierre, a royal blue make budgie, and Luna, a grey female, into my house. 

A few days after receiving my budgies, Luna fell off of her food dish where she and Pierre had been eating, and seemed to make no attempts to fly back up. Eventually she hoisted herself up using the cage bars, and resumed eating. Later, when I had placed a new ladder into the cage, I noticed that it was blocking Luna's path to the food dish, so she had to weave around the ladder as she climbed the cage to get to her destination. After taking a closer look at Luna I realized that she was missing her secondary wing and tail feathers. After researching this I diagnosed it as french molt.

What I want to know is whether or not keeping Luna and Pierre in the same cage will result in Pierre catching french molt and losing his feathers. I do not plan to breed the birds, so there wont be an issue with it being passed down to chicks, but I wanted to know is it will spread between two adult budgies. 

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  4,399
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/05/1962

breeding can pass it on, as you are not going to breed then you can live with it, I have had birds that after a year to two years have overcome French moult fully feathered again