• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  15
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I have 8 budgies in a 2 metre tall 1metre length and 1 metre width. I have 4 males and 4 females and 3 breeding boxes high up in the cage (i only have 3 because 2 of the budgies are 2 months old)

2 of my pairs were in healthy condition going into their breeding boxes 2 weeks after buying them. But i had made the mistake of thinking they needed nesting material so i put shredded newspaper in and they never went back in . I took the news paper out a week and half ago and have never seen them go in their again. They are outside my veranda in shade get the right amount of lighting a day and no known predators near bye. They are also out of the wind. Please help me 

• Member ID:  8,197
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  205

First of all don't assume that just because the hens are very young that they wont breed, they can breed under 6 months old and having them in with the other birds may well stimulate them to breed. Second thing, in an aviary breeding situation you need to understand that the risks of hens going into other boxes and fighting other hens and destroying chicks is high, they are best separated and bred as pairs. If aviary breeding you need to be very vigilant and check on them a few times a day if possible to make sure they are sticking to their own boxes. Any trouble makers should be removed immediately. I would have double the boxes that you have hens to avoid fighting as much as possible. If you still want to aviary breed I'd remove the young hens. Then remove the boxes and clean them out. Wait for a couple of weeks and then put the boxes back in to try again. Assuming your birds are in breeding condition they will probably get excited and go investigate straight away. Keep in mind the hot weather though, as it gets very hot in those boxes so once the heat kicks in its best to rest your birds.

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  8,423
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  182

Something must be happening here in Hawaii.  All of the breeders are  talking about how hard it is to get their birds to breed birds with healthy eggs.  I have had my  pairs in cages 1 year and they are not eager to breed.

• Member ID:  4,399
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Birthday:  30/05/1962

try separating males , change their diet a little, maybe your weather conditions may have some effect this year??, don't know

have you changed your aviary about a lot? generally they don't like changes , if so only change no more than 10 percent of anything in the aviary , and not regularly