• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  45
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello I have just joined BBC and we have a budgie named Elijah. He is blue and very pretty.

I have been concerned as he seemed to be biting himself but the lady at the pet shop assured me that he was more likely preening himself.

I have introduced a mirror and I am buying a new ladder and swing and getting some more toys hoping that will kill any boredom he might be experiencing.

I will eventually buy another budgie but it isn't in the budget at present. He is a young bird only about 2 weeks old we got him last week and he was 10 days old then so maths might not be quite right.

• Member ID:  8,251
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  5
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Joyfulmum and everyone, I thought I'd answer your thread as my introduction as nobody had replied to you already.

I have a lovely new aviary with two flights (joined or separate) currently containing 30 budgies, some just out of their nest box. My older aviary is now my quarantine cage for a couple of new ones I got four weeks ago - a thirty-day quarantine would mean they can join the others on Thursday, since they've continued to look happy and well throughout their separation (unless I discover some terrible reason why not).

I started with one (who doesn't?) which flew here on his own and whose owner we never found. When nobody claimed him (blue normal) we bought him a partner, built them a nice cage. First pretty young partner died of a lung haemorrhage, so I bought him another mature (green) bird. Then another lost bird joined them, turned out to be a very young female which we thought was male. She's now my most prolific breeder and is currently in a breeding cage with the original male, since they decided they like each other enough to do the deed.

I met someone who wanted to reduce their budgie numbers and bought 14, then another two after one death and the discovery that our sexes were not even and there was fighting.

Now those 18 have doubled, I've sold a few birds to the pet shop, swapped a couple for the new ones and am now managing a second-wave breeding explosion, without enough separate breeding cages. I'm having to try and manage some fighting! Nobody's dead, just a few bloody scraps. I have a plan this afternoon for further separations.

Colours in my aviary are lots of opalines, some which others have told me may be spangles, some possible lace-wings or maybe they're clear, I'm not sure. I have not yet fully understood the genetic possibilities of the colours, nor got to grips with all the descriptions. Mostly I'm having fun seeing what they'll produce with whichever mates they pick. Next year maybe I'll determine the pairings when I'm a bit more organised.