What Mutation Should I Breed My Boy To? (Have Photos Of Him)

• Member ID:  8,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  40
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

This is Cesar. He is still quite too young to breed, I know. But I am unsure of what mutation I should get him in his mate. I don't know Cesars whole background regarding his genetic mutations. All I know is that he is full english/show budgie. Mother was a blue (possibly cinnamon I believe). I saw both parents but the lighting was dim and the mom's black markings didn't look very black, more brownish. The Father was a dark factor green, but the woman I got Cesar from said that the dad is a possible split to blue? I think? lol sorry, I'm really not much help (neither was the woman I got Cesar from). Cesar had a brother as well that looked just like him. So mutation wise, would Cesar be a normal green (maybe cinnamon? his markings on his back is definitely not black!) split to blue? I just recently started reading about genetics, its so confusing, sorry about my ignorance on the subject, still learning. Apparently from what the woman said her previous clutch with the same parents had pieds (dunno if they were dominant or recessive or if they were blue or green). So now I'm confused with which mutation my boy's lady should be when I go pick one out. I can't even pretend to have any idea what female would make some nice mutation chicks with Cesar (if any). I'm not setting my goal high, all I'm trying to achieve is at least one baby that isn't green, if possible. I have lots of experience breeding cockatiels and budgies, this is just my first shot at the mutation side of pairing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

5b35b886-b3c8-4c89-9ec3-0174eba84eec.jpg

12243463_10205312784683940_2636308140608182085_n.jpg

3623da9d-6074-4846-bc0f-3c8c7609fba7.jpg

4c07debd-4d71-4aca-b28c-1a26205dc52b.jpg

• Member ID:  8,197
  • Content Count:  37
  • Achievement Points:  205

Hi There... If he's green and 1 parent was a cinnamon wing blue then he will be split blue and split cinnamon wing.. It kinda looks like a yellow or golden face blue though, it might just be the colour in the picture. He looks more like an aqua-ish colour rather than green. Look at green on the internet if you don't have 1 to compare him to.

If he's green, buy a blue to put him to and you will get green and blue babies. If he were my bird and I wanted some different colours I would put him to a Yellow face blue or a normal blue- Dominant pied.

• Member ID:  8,241
  • Content Count:  4
  • Achievement Points:  40

Hi There... If he's green and 1 parent was a cinnamon wing blue then he will be split blue and split cinnamon wing.. It kinda looks like a yellow or golden face blue though, it might just be the colour in the picture. He looks more like an aqua-ish colour rather than green. Look at green on the internet if you don't have 1 to compare him to.

If he's green, buy a blue to put him to and you will get green and blue babies. If he were my bird and I wanted some different colours I would put him to a Yellow face blue or a normal blue- Dominant pied.

hmmmm okay this helped me decide a bit more.... he's definitely green just a light green and around his vent is most definitely an aqua with the aqua washing up into the middle of his chest a bit.I'll try and get a better photo of him a bit farther away from the window to the photos aren't washed out. I was also thinking a blue dominant pied female as well.

here r some more accurate shots of his colors. camera still didn't pick up some of the aqua bleeding to his chest but you can kindda see it. He's def a light green tho.

so if i did pair him with a blue dominant pied what would be the outcome?also since he is def split to normal blue, what would b the outcome with a normal blue female?

12540539_10205317488601535_2434629889298051517_n.jpg

12548914_10205317488441531_2378083978170166369_n.jpg

• Member ID:  8,197
  • Content Count:  37
  • Achievement Points:  205

Assuming he's light green, split blue and split cinnamon wing...

Put to a cobalt blue hen ...I think you'll get 50% blue and 50%green split blue. Some of the blue's will be cobalt and some of them sky blue. Some of the greens will be dark and some light. Some of the hens bred will be cinnamon and some of the cocks split cinnamon.

If the hen were to be dominant pied as well, theoretically approx. 50% of the young will be pied.