• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  365
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi All,

So two of my show budgies, Tank and Audrey, have laid another clutch of eggs - 10 to be exact. At least 9 of the eggs look to be fertile this time.

Last time Audrey laid 9 eggs, though none got to the hatching stage and I found them all either thrown out of the nest and/or broken.

Tank is a 3rd time father and has been great (he raised two successful clutches with another breeder) and Audrey is a first time mother, though she is over 18 months old.

I read the article on fostering and am just looking for advice as to when, and if, to foster any of these eggs out? Do I do it before they have hatched or after? Audrey is struggling to keep all 10 eggs covered, and Tank is often sitting in the nest box with her as well. Will they be able to raise, potentially, 10 chicks on their own?

The only other fostering option I have is a pair currently sitting on 4 eggs. Both are first time parents though, and just over 12 months old. I have candled their eggs but can't tell if they are fertile or not. Perhaps not.

Audrey did not start sitting on her eggs continuously until the 8th of June, and I have marked each egg as it has been laid, so I know which is which if I need to foster any out.

Audrey's eggs were laid: 1st June, 2nd June, 3rd June, 7th June, 8th June, 10th June, 13th June, 14th June, 15th June & 17th June.

The other first time pair has eggs laid: 10th June, 13th June, 15th June & 17th June, and the mother started sitting on them continuously from 13th June.

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I want to give them the best chance possible.