• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  20
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, I have been breeding pet type budgies for 3-4 years now but in the last year and abit I have held off from breeding pet types as I have now built an interest in show types. I have been reading up on it alot trying to find all the info I can, seems complicated at the moment understanding show standards, pairing etc, as I have alot to learn.

Just recently I found a club breeder in my local area who I purchased 5 show types from who was really helpful with all questions I had to ask plus invited me to one or his club meetings to see how things all work, but I never went to it due to being nervous I guess.

Anyway, I'm having trouble finding breeders around or near my area I could patiently purchase some stock off, the breeder I got the 5 off is the only one I have found, I feel as though I will never be able to get started in this hobby.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me locate any breeders in the Sydneys South West area who are willing to help me get going.

As I have 5 birds now I was thinking another 5 not to many due to limited space to were I'm living right now.

I plan on joining a club thinking the Macarthur branch as it is close to were I live but dont plan on showing as I've got a lot to learn, one day I will once I'm confidante enough and have the experience.

Thank you for in advance for any help or info given.

• Member ID:  7,323
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  570

You can do a lot with five birds, especially when you have plenty of pet stock to use as foster pairs.

I would suggest holding off on buying more birds until you have been a member of a club for a few months at least. It takes a while to work out who is breeding the sort of birds that you would like to breed. For example, I know that for "Variety A" there is just one breeder I would go to for stock.

Go to shows, visit other club members set-ups and ask questions. Your aim of starting with 10 birds is a good one, but you need to do your homework first.

Good luck

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Hi Kicks,

I've got to say, I completely understand being nervous and not going to a club meeting, but, if you want good show stock, it's worth taking the leap and going. Most clubs will have their meetings around the same time each month. This time of year is fantastic to hang around because everyone is preparing their birds for the Nationals.

It's awesome.

Cheers and all the best.

• Member ID:  8,135
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2
  • Achievement Points:  20

Hi thanks for your response Drogo and Jimmy,

I made an enquiry with my local club they had their meeting on friday just missed out, going to try make it to the next one.

Defiantly holding off from breeding until I sign up to a club, I would of liked to start off with normal greens and blues.

The variety I have now are 2 lacewing hens, 2 lutinos brother and sister, and a normal grey cock, don't see that as a good start?

Would really like to go see how the shows work very curious to see, maybe help me to know what features to look for etc.

I will take that advice and hold off on buying for now, hopefully can get some good quality stock down the track :) but did find another show breeder a couple days ago selling all his stock and setup and had clearbodies always had a interest in them but only ever owned one spewing my car broke down lol and not keen carting birds home on public transport.

Thanks again, had to type up quick my bad if it don't make sence.

Have a good one.

• Member ID:  7,323
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  570

Hi Kicks,

I assume the breeder you purchased your birds off advised which birds to pair with which? He would have a far better idea than anyone else about pairing his birds. My only advice is that you should focus on varieties that you like.

It might be worth renting a ute or truck if you are interested in purchasing the other breeders equipment. I was able to buy 16 breeding cages for $10 each, just by being in the right place at the right time.

Buy at least one show cage if the oppurtunity comes up. There is nothing more frustrating than having bred quality club rung birds but not being able to show them because no-one will sell you a show cage. You learn a lot about quality by showing your birds.

Kind regards

• 5 years later...

• Member ID:  9,190
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Achievement Points:  5

Just a quick question I just purchased a club rung budgie female can she breed with regular budgies. It might be a silly question but I wasn't 100% sure. I read up a little on it saying club rung budgies are a little larger fluffier in the feathers. Are they able to breed?