• Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  115
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all

Just wanted to know people experience with breeding cabinets.. I've bred budgies via aviary. But now I'm restricted to breeding cabinets because of rental restrictions for my house.

What i wanted to know is..

people opinions or experience with single breeding cabinets or double breeding cabinets..

I have a 6 bay breeding cabinet that can convert to 3 double bay breeding cabinets.. cause i can divide the middle to separate pairs..

IS it better to keep a pair in a single bay? or a double bay?

I've had mixed comments saying go double because it gives them room to fly for exercise

I've had other comments such as keep them in a single bay each.. it helps them bond better.. and having them in a single will eventually force them to interact with each and become a breeding pair?

so confused..

My wife and i ending up building a medium flight aviary for our birds... we had an old wardrobe and ending making into on... its great!!! take a look hehe

2h8af4n.jpg

Also.. I have 3 pairs..

Pair One:

ivy_rhino.jpg

PAIR ONE has been in the breeding cage for almost 8 weeks now.. i've seen them mate like 2 weeks ago. but she never laid eggs.. she goes in the nest box from time to time.. she'll looks fat.. and in the picture below would you say she's coming out of condition? or if she's preggers?

9pqmp5.jpg

243mh04.jpg

260rfrn.jpg

Pair Two:

image.jpg

With pair two: I've here cere is light tan.. but his cere is this colour? does that mean his out of condition?

29b0q3l.jpg

Pair Three:

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Pair 3 is still young..

So what I've done is taking the 2 pairs out of the breeding cages and put them back in the flight cage.. wait another week or two.. and then see who is in condition and pair them up..

I DO APOLOGISE FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS AND PICS haha

Sorry i didn't realise i should've put this on "breeding budgie forum part"

Edited by rockii33
  • 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Hi Rockii, welcome to the forum. I see you haven't got any responses to this, and it's been about three weeks. Sorry about that. It sounds like putting them back into the flights for a while will be a good idea. Their photos don't really look like they were in breeding condition. You might want to just wait a while, and when their ceres look better, then try to pair them up again.

You don't have to apologize for questions and photos, that's what we are here for, and we love looking at photos of people's birds and aviaries anyway. :)

I can move this to the breeding section for you.