• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  45
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

I'm new here to the forum. I found the link on a breeder website here in the USA, so I hope it is okay that I signed up. My husband and I have recently gotten into budgies and are wanting to breed them eventually. (Not very often and not to sell, but to keep birds in our home, so on and so forth)

We currently have three parakeets (I'm going to call them that from here on out. It is what I'm used to) and they are in the same cage. Two of them are male and one is female. We got them from a local mom and pop type pet shop (they do most of their breeding in store).

At first we got Maximus and we believe he is 4 to 6 months old. He is currently starting to molt.

Here are some photos of him.

IMG_2076_zps3b9108b3.jpg

IMG_2080_zps6398a108.jpg

When we got him, he was tame right away and isn't afraid of us. He is parent raised.

We decided we wanted to get another bird and went back to the same place and ended up leaving with what we hope will be a breeding pair for us to start with. The girl is Rarity and the boy is Guybrush. Rarity is almost 2 and Guybrush is between 1 and 2 years old.

Right now all three of them are in the same cage and get along well. Rarity and Guybrush are not tame and Guybrush is afraid of hands. Rarity is fine once you get her out of the cage. Their wings were clipped.

We've read some conflicting things about breeding when there are more than one male in the cage. Will Maximus's presence in the cage stop Rarity and Guybrush from breeding? We do have more than one cage we can use, though.

Picture of Rarity:

1969259_10152297709683688_1931487327_n_zps797a7b8e.jpg

Picture of Guybrush:

1743740_10152297709738688_759714951_n_zps6703ecdb.jpg

Picture of both:

1622240_10152297709948688_459801729_n_zps59ee3859.jpg

Picture of all three:

1798765_10152297710518688_1846547661_n_zpse47316cc.jpg

This is what their cage looks like:

IMG_2086_zpsb5b474e9.jpg

We are only using the top part. You can see the bottom part in the photo. It is currently closed off. Any suggestions on what to add or take away when we go into breeding mode (A breeding box of course lol) The cage set up is a work in progress. The cage is actually meant for rodents. In fact, downstairs is our lone rat, Persephone. The others have died from old age. She can not see or touch the birds and is not long for this world, sadly. We also have cats that are very interested in the birds, but they are really good with all our other past small animals. The cats are obviously well supervised and not aloud alone with the cage when we are not home. With the smell of the cats/rat and them being around make it harder for the birds to mate?

Sorry for all the photos and quality as they are taken with an ipod.

Thanks

RarityBird

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You have some lovely birds. If and when you breed with them you should split the pair up into a separate cage to stop any fighting.

I can't really see what the string toy is in the middle of your cage but I would be very careful with it and probably would take it out because budgies have been known to hang and kill themselves on rope and string toys.

Nadene

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Welcome to the forum, hope you find it an enjoyable place to come and chat budgies. There are a ton of articles in the FAQ section regarding breeding and even more old posts. The cage will be fine, like Nadene said, be careful with string and ropes. When you decided you were ready to breed I would take the other male out and then make the perches go from the front and back, it might be difficult with the cage opening up the way it does though.

The look very cute. We won't crack the sads that you call them parakeets, plenty of people in the US do. The issue gets confusing when you are on a website that isn't Budgie specific as "Parakeet" can mean a number of different species. Enjoy your time here and feel free to post as many pictures as you want. We all like them... They are also mandatory for any breeding journal you start on the forum :D

• Member ID:  7,863

Thanks guys! We have decided to take Max out to avoid fights. As soon as we did Rarity and Guybrush started to chatter with each other non stop! And they do what looks like beak kissing. We are setting the cage up for breeding real soon. We have the wooden nest box that has a lid on the top. It slides up. Is Aspen bedding safe to use? It's the shavings pet stores sell for rodents and such. The things we've looked up seem promising but we figured it best to ask experienced breeders. Should the nest box perch go halfway in the box too? The box will be placed on the top shelf in the cage (not in the above picture)

We feed them a mixture of seeds and zupreem pellets and have been offering fruit and veggie. They get a little mixture of 'treats' from the Higgens brand. They have a wake up and bed time schedule. They get sunlight.

Max is lonely now, but we play with him a lot. He's super tame. We are thinking of letting him bond with one of Rarity and Guybrush's babies if we are successful. Not to breed, but possibly once everyone is of age.

Should we let the birds try parent raising the first clutch and be on stand by? Are all first time parents bad at raising their young?

Sorry for rambling.

Have a read of this thread it should help and there are some pictures of the inside of the nest box. I'm sure there are other threads on it as well if you go to our breeding section but this one was linked into our FAQ section. Daz had set up cabinets because he was a show breeder so it was on a much larger scale than what you're planning but you should get a good understanding of what the nest box should look like and where the perch should go.

I would let the parents raise them if they can. Each bird is different some are good first time mums others at terrible...

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hello, welcome to the forum.

• Member ID:  7,863

Thanks!

We have started to try and breed. We moved the pair to a different cage with the nest box on the outside. All signs are good, but we will see I guess. Wish us luck. We will start a breeding journal if she starts showing signs of being with egg/s. :)

All the best. Hope it turns out well.

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Hi Rarity bird, welcome to the forum! I know I'm catching this a bit late. I hope you come back to the forum and let us know how your breeding experience is turning out. The folks on here are very friendly and helpful. :)

(By the way, I see that we are both in Indiana. Was it maybe my website where you got the link? I wonder how close we are to each other.)

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  7,401
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  298
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,895
  • Birthday:  28/02/1999

Hiya raritybird and welcome to the forum! I'm also in Indiana! :D

• Member ID:  3,449
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  987
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  5,965

Hi and welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have!

Katie