• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  80
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

hey everyone so i have three budgies in a cage that is 61cm W by 43cm D and 71 cm H (not including stand) so i was wondering could i fit any other budgies in there comfortably without it getting too crowded? thanks for the help everyone :) :) p.s im not one to leave my budgies in there cage all day long i try to take them out for an hour in the mornings before i go to school and as soon as i get back from school until there bedtime:) :) thanks again much apreicated

• Member ID:  6,042
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

Yes sounds fine for three or four budgies.

Edited by rachelm

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

For me it's not as much the cage as it is temperament. I have cages that can theoretically hold more than two budgies but my males fight. They even have to take turns outside their cages. I would always have a plan B. I had three budgies in a huge cage made for many budgies but adding one was a disaster. One of the poor males nearly got his foot ripped off.

b5a5a4cb-66b6-4a8c-bd18-dd9ef87aafc6_zpsd0ec181c.jpg

Edited by Phoebes

• Member ID:  6,042
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

Beautiful set up Phoebes.

Thanks rachelm I have changed it up now. I took that cage apart and might use the parts to make a door for my bird room. I am not really good with woodworking but may be able to get help from my son in law. They bought a house and he is a very handy guy. He really works hard though so I don't want to pressure him. I was thinking of using the bottom of the cage on a wall to put perches and toys. It would be good for photography. I will paint my room soon and then post the new look.

• Member ID:  7,835
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65

I have sure noticed that my birds enjoy "ledges" as well as perches. Each nesting house has a piece of tile set on top of the roof to prevent the wood from becoming too soiled. I recently turned the tiles "rough-side-up" to promote natural wear on their nails. But my point is: consider perhaps providing some nice flat ledges (safe bark species etc.) near the top third of your bird room. Looking at a video of birds in the wilds of Australia it struck me that we give them the equivalent of tiny branches, but seldom a nice fat "tree".

I have sure noticed that my birds enjoy "ledges" as well as perches. Each nesting house has a piece of tile set on top of the roof to prevent the wood from becoming too soiled. I recently turned the tiles "rough-side-up" to promote natural wear on their nails. But my point is: consider perhaps providing some nice flat ledges (safe bark species etc.) near the top third of your bird room. Looking at a video of birds in the wilds of Australia it struck me that we give them the equivalent of tiny branches, but seldom a nice fat "tree".

Very interesting I will look into adding an element like this. I did have a part of a tree that I cooked and hollowed a bit but it attracted too much attention for nesting. It was supposed to be decoration so I put it on a shelf and haven't been using it. Also it did not have bark on it. Bark falls off and messes up the room.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

hey everyone so i have three budgies in a cage that is 61cm W by 43cm D and 71 cm H (not including stand) so i was wondering could i fit any other budgies in there comfortably without it getting too crowded? thanks for the help everyone :) :) p.s im not one to leave my budgies in there cage all day long i try to take them out for an hour in the mornings before i go to school and as soon as i get back from school until there bedtime:) :) thanks again much apreicated

I think that cage would be crowded with more than two budgies in it. Since you already have three, I would hesitate to rock the boat, assuming the three are at peace with one another. Gender matters, too. If you have three boys getting along fine and you add a hen, watch out! If you want more budgies, maybe look into getting a second cage, or a wider one. Remember, the tallness of the cage doesn't matter- it's width that gives them more flying room across. And you need enough perch space so they are not sitting shoulder to shoulder.

I just realized this question is going in two threads. I'm locking this one so that the discussion can stay all in one place. :)

Edited by Finnie