• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  50
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi !

Im new in this forum and i hope someone can help us. We breed budgies for nearly 20 years now. I have a breeding license since nearly 18 years but never did it in a professional way, just as a hobby. We have all sizes, all between BIG and small (^^) and around 60 budgies atm.

In September 2013 we bought a yellowface-cock from a petshop. To my big surprise that bird was not able to fly when we put him into one of our aviaries. I didnt recognize that in the shop, because the box where the budgies were in was very small. I checked his wings and saw a lot of his longer wing-feathers were somehow "broken". Here are the pictures of the right wing, and the left one looks similar:

n2b6yk97s7z.jpg

hmmjiyg5eaor.jpg

I instantly took him into a seperated aviary because i didnt knew if "that" is infective in some way. And he is still in there.

Yesterday we got the results from the loboratory that checked the feathers.

And it is NO Polyoma and NO PBFD. (pew ^^)

Acarids can be suspendet too, because every new bird gets a drop of an aid with a 0,12%-ivermectine in it. He got that 2 times with a 10-day- duration between the usage but it changed nothing and worked PERFECT for all our other birds till now.

He really seems to be happy at all. He twitters, and does everything a normal budgie does but of course is not able to fly :-(.. The best for him of course would be to put him back to the swarm, but as long as we dont know what it is id rather keep him away from the others.

So WHAT is that ??? Not even breeders with alot of experience can clearly say what it is.

SORRY for my bad english...im german ^^.

Edited by Gunny

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi Gunny,

If you have checked him for disease, french moult etc. maybe it's a result of stress and he may be pulling his feathers out etc similar to Cockatoos that are stressed. Has he moulted out since you have had him? Have you observed him preening to see if its just normal preening or maybe he is responsible for it, if the follicles have been damaged they may not grow normally. He could have been plucked by parents when in nest? It's very hard to say whether it's genetic, disease or caused by some other outside influence. If you rule out disease I think a test breed with him could be worth it to see if it's passed on to any young or not, if you were planning to use him for breeding that is.

• Member ID:  7,824

Thanks for that fast answer!

Weve never seen him doing this. And we have no Idea of his age. If its really the reason of stress, i guess the best "therapy" would be to put him back to a swarm.

Now that we know that it ISNT ployoma or PBFD its not that dangerous to put him back, or ?

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  405
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

Hi Gunny and welcome to the forum.

Firstly you should NEVER put new birds in with existing they should be quarantined for at least 4 weeks in case they do have a contagious disease. It could be a number of things, it may have or had mites and chewed its feathers or it may have a bad chewing habit (or another bird with it did), it could be a really unfortunate moult I would keep him by himself in a smaller cage and see if they grow back.

okay, we will keep him there and watch him. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Now by luck we got a hen that is not able to fly too. We bought her from a pet shop and didnt recognize that she may have broken her wing. I tried to seperate her to have a rest but it seems that its already to late for the wing to grow together right. She tries to fly very often and it seems that she is not really suffering and has not much pain.

However, now they both are together and not alone anymore. And i hope that she learns from him how to stay cool when the "big bad guy" guy comes to feed them ^^. She is very shy and afraid of people.

It doesnt matter for us if she can fly or not. We had to buy her because shes a fallow and these are very rare.

So we will watch them both and how they will behave in the future.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Has your Cock bird started to grow more normal flights or are they still "broken". They may breed o.k chicks even if they (the parents) aren't quite normal, if it's only through injury etc not genetic. Would be interesting to see, if they look o.k otherwise, you may get some really good chicks from them.

Even though the general opinion is only breed your best birds. I think the others need a chance as well, in pet types.