• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  85
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all. I posted a month or so ago about my (then) new budgie Flash. He wasn't hand raised and I have been trying to train him to step up and come out of his cage since I got him (he was about 3-4 months old when I got him).

I've had him for about 9-10 weeks now and he's all settled and very happy. His cage opens at the top and he spends most of his day on the open top perch, he's not bothered by my being around and close to him, but he just isn't interested in coming to me. He will step up on my finger and let me bring him out of his cage if I bribe him with grass seed, but he doesn't seem to *want* my company, merely accepts it.

I wonder whether it's worth keeping up the step-up training, or whether to just leave him be since (as long as there's noise) he's perfectly happy doing his own thing. I don't mind either way, as long as he's happy - it's just frustrating not being able to give him a scratch when he's all itchy and moulting!

Has anyone else ever had a budgie who's happy with their own company and doesn't seem interested in human interaction?

I'd love to hear your thoughts & stories :)

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

My daughter has one of the babies of my birds. He is the only bird in their home. She kept it up and finally the bird loves being scratched now. I think it's a good idea for the birds mental health to know they have a friend in the home.

I think it's lovely to see her getting a great scratch and worth the wait and long training. Also the bird has a playtop cage and recently when she flew far from the cage my daughter said she just let her pick her up and put her back in the cage. That must be well worth it. I can't really get my birds in their cages but I got all six at the same time so it's impossible to train them or nearly.

• Member ID:  7,760
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  85

My daughter has one of the babies of my birds. He is the only bird in their home. She kept it up and finally the bird loves being scratched now. I think it's a good idea for the birds mental health to know they have a friend in the home.

I think it's lovely to see her getting a great scratch and worth the wait and long training. Also the bird has a playtop cage and recently when she flew far from the cage my daughter said she just let her pick her up and put her back in the cage. That must be well worth it. I can't really get my birds in their cages but I got all six at the same time so it's impossible to train them or nearly.

Thanks Pheobes. How long did it take for your daughter's bird to become that comfortable?

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

I've had a stroke and it affected my capacity to build new memories. I looked at the first picture of babies and it is dated April 16th. She got the baby at three months of age. I will try to get her to upload the petting video. It is so cute.

b2c89e07-5fa8-4cc9-a635-1c083ff5460c_zps690bf463.jpg

Taken April 16 of this year.

Now she lets herself be thoroughly rubbed around the head and neck.

Edited by Phoebes