Jaffa

Splayed Legs....?

Hi all,

I have 3 chicks at the moment. The oldest -13 days- has splayed legs. I have used the makeup sponge method. The problem i am worried about is that he is always lying on his side. The Hen is being very protective still, so i hope she doesn't reject him. Should i put him on his feet again or is he alright on his side, i am trying not to disturb them much as mum runs around in a fuss everytime i look in and i have a 2 day old in there. I just don't want to stuff things up for them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jaff

the chick wont lay on its side if the sponge hobble is pushed up over its knees and the spare sponge is cut away to reduce the weight of it....can you post a picture ? Make sure its just splayed legs and not a break up near the hip joint or rickets

Edited by **KAZ**

I just looked in on it and it was sitting up nicely huddled with siblings. It had gotten one leg out though. I placed it through the hole again and placed the chick in. Will try and get a photo next time mum comes out. The 2 day old bub is looking quite tiny and weak and i am worried it is getting trampled on too much. Will keep a close eye on it.

Regards,

Jaff

The make up sponge doesn't seem to want to stay on. I have tried to redo it twice but it still ends up coming off one leg. I will try the pipe cleaner method as soon as i buy some. Any suggestions would be great :)

Regards,

Jaff

it wont stay on as the hole you have made is

too big ..........photo of what you have done will help with advice :)

Edited by **KAZ**

I had trouble with the pipe cleaner method as baby was very active :blink: Both babies now have splayed legs :( i suspect from not enough nesting material as mum kicked it nearly all out at the begging and i never thought to put more in :(

Will now know for next time.

Regards,

Jaff

No matter how small i make the holes, they seem to get the sponge off :( i don't know what to do

Hi Jaffa, I use the pipe cleaners as I could not get the sponge to stay either, ( I also found one Mum would pull it off). Another thing I tried was the tiny elastic rings for girl's pony tail's etc. I put one leg in twisted the ring into figure 8 type thing then placed 2nd leg in, it's trial and error as they come in several size rings.

One thing that will cause play legs is if your nest box is flat and has a plastic or smooth base. The chicks can't get a grip and legs splay OR Mum could be a tight sitter. Now the chicks have hatched Mum may leave nest material in, even rolled oats may help.

Thanks for the reply.

I gave up on pipe cleaner as babies were to wiggly.

I will try and find some hair ties at the store and will try them.

Regards,

Jaff

Hey guys haven't been on here for a while. But for splayed legs I use fishing swivels. Easy to put on and when its ready to come of just use side cutters. No mucking around with sponges and other stuff. Its just like putting a ring on there leg.