• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  45
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  28/09/1986

Hi everybody,

Next week on Wednesday I will drive to South Gate to a woman who has 3 Green budgie baby's. They are all 8 weeks old and on Wednesday is my big day to pick one of these little ones. I actually would like to have a male budgie, but when I asked her if she can pick a male for me, she said that at this age nobody is able to tell the sex of a budgie, because it is too young.

But now I realize, that many of you here can actually see if a chick is male or female. So since these baby's are 8 weeks old, what do I need to look for, when I want to pick a male? Well if she has any male, if it's all female, than I probably can't see any difference. She said they look all the same.

Can you guys help me a little bit? What do I need to looking for, if I wanted to pick a male?

Best wishes,

Tanja

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi & Welcome,

If you go to the forum ."WHAT SEX IS MY BUDGIE." on here, there are 2 pinned articles ALL ABOUT BUDGIE CERES.and SEXING BABY BUDGIES.at the top of forum. If you read through these (there are also pics) they should give you some clues what to look for. At 8 weeks there could be some colour to help you decide, boys seem to be a pink/purple colour where hens seem more light blue to whitish colour is the only way I can describe it, it's like the more you see them the easier it is to pick, I still get it wrong after a couple of years, with green normal chicks it would be easier than most mutations I'd say. Also as an added "clue" if it bites really hard it's more likely a hen l.o.l. even if you could download a couple of pics off those articles to, say your phone, to compare the chicks to it may help.

• Member ID:  7,781
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  5
  • Achievement Points:  45
  • Birthday:  28/09/1986

Hi robyn,

thank you very much for the information! I went straight ahead and looked at the photos for the different Ceres colors for male and female budgies.

The woman did not send me any photos for the 3 green budgies, but she sent me a photo that shows one of them. and I would like to know, if you could see what it is? Female or male? She said, they all look the same. But I want to see it for myself, when I go there. maybe they have different colors and she just does not know how to figure out if a baby is male or female.

Here the photo of one of the green baby's:

Parakeets_2.JPG

• Member ID:  7,490
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  88
  • Achievement Points:  510

Hi Tanja. I'm not completely sure, but my first guess would be male from the photo. Also, as Robyn said, females tend to bite more. So if you handle the chick and it's not nippy, and the cere is a pinkish purple colour, then its likely to be male. Also, an experienced breeder can determine the sex of a budgie chick from a very young age with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi robyn,

thank you very much for the information! I went straight ahead and looked at the photos for the different Ceres colors for male and female budgies.

The woman did not send me any photos for the 3 green budgies, but she sent me a photo that shows one of them. and I would like to know, if you could see what it is? Female or male? She said, they all look the same. But I want to see it for myself, when I go there. maybe they have different colors and she just does not know how to figure out if a baby is male or female.

Here the photo of one of the green baby's:

Parakeets_2.JPG

Just a guess but I'd say that green male, blue at back male r., obscured blue unknown, blue back left possibly hen, pied is the "iffy" my guess is hen.

ONLY MY GUESS'S ONLY, anyone else feel free. All look nice healthy babies anyway. Good luck with your choice.