• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  675
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

I gave Cado the bath yesterday and he really enjoyed it. Today when I came back from work and he was alone i decided to give him a bath again as he seems to enjoy it. But he didn't want it. I actually put a plate with the water on the floor and he tried but didn't want. And he sneezes i think, but not sure, is it normal? He is not sick ?

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

I am not sure about the sneezing, maybe a more experienced member will know.

I let my birds choose when to take a bath. Sometimes it seems they go a week without going in. When it's hot they go every day but they are copy cats and go in when they see someone really enjoying it. The bottoms of my cages are plastic so I use water bottles and if it empties out I just refill it. My birds used the little lixit bottles and learned to use the bigger ones. This way I am sure that they always have a clean source of water. It allows me to have a bath in the cage at all times. I watched my birds and they prefer to drink in the bottles unless they have seen me change the bath. This is probably because they know by experience the water will be cool if it was just changed.

f3f49c37-f8b2-4b24-8bc4-423d0dccbbec_zps3f76e226.jpg

4f62a737-e26e-4781-b7cb-917690137984_zps8d0be7bd.jpg

I would start by a small drinking bottle. The birds really appreciate their bottles.

• Member ID:  7,761
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  675

Thank you Phoebes very much

Are you talking about this lixit bottle ?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22110&rel=1

Will budgie understand that it is a water ? How it works ? I don't think Cado understands how to drink from cup fedder :( When I gave him water in plate as a bath he start to drink. I don't see him even to be interested in the top cup feeder I bought from petco

thank you

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

I haven't tried that bottle. I can't seem to find the model I had for sale anymore. I like the look of that one though. I line the bottom of the cage with newspaper and sometimes the first model I had would just empty out so that is why I had the bath in there too.

I have been looking at that model too thinking of trying it. The one I had often became leaky.

f3997409-db0a-411f-9933-0766b17a0c94_zps723a8a78.jpg

You can see the old bottle on the left of the cage, but I think I like that new model you posted better although I haven't tried it. I put newspaper on the bottom of the cage and there are grills so the budgies can't touch it. That way if the bottle leaks it absorbs it. It takes a while for the little ones to figure out what the bottle is. They learn fast if they are with an adult that knows. So you have to change the bath at least once a day and any time you see poo in it.

The birds are curious so usually you will see a baby eventually trying to taste different parts of the metal tube of the bottle and he will eventually get to tasting where the ball is. When he accidentally gets water he will do this again at a later time and learn.

Edited by Phoebes

• Member ID:  7,392
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,280
  • Birthday:  02/06/1962

Hi Kiwi

You and Cado will be far better off if you stick to a routine and allow Cado to settle for a while before you start to change his environment.

Just leave the bath water in his cage or some where near by and change water as required. As he does enjoy it, he will got to the bath when he wants to bathe.