• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  25
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone,

I got my little ones a couple weeks ago, and one of them has a bit of a dirty vent and I took him to a regular vet (is a regular vet okay?), but he's not so greeny-yellow anymore, so I think he's getting better. But I noticed today he was making a kissing like sound and he started doing this thing with his neck and it looked kind of like he was trying to move something down his throat, is this normal or is something wrong with little Skye? I'm not sure if I described it properly, he was making kissing sounds a few times before he did the neck thing.

Also last thing, is it okay to feed them one leaf a day? (bok choy, chinese broccoli etc).

Thankyou so much for your time.

• Member ID:  7,392
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,280
  • Birthday:  02/06/1962

I would take your budgie to an avian vet and have it checked thoroughly. What meds if any did the vet you saw prescribe?

Paulie

Head bobbing could be normal, as is part of budgie communication, but would not go so far as to say that there isn't another reason.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Doing a strange neck movement could just be a sign of something stuck in his throat. However, when you add other symptoms of illness, then you have to wonder if the neck stretching is a sign of actual illness. Keep an eye on the shape and color of his stools, and whether he has any other symptoms, like sitting fluffed up and sleeping too much.

If you think he is ill, you should provide him with a heat lamp. That goes a long way to helping them feel better and to be able to maintain their body heat, which is crucial when they are sick.

Most of the time, taking a bird to a regular vet is a waste of money, because regular vets are really just guessing about what to do. But if there isn't an avian vet, then regular is the best you can do.

About the greens, they are a great part of a healthy bird's diet. But when your bird is sick, you should stop giving fresh food until his poops return to normal. Greens and veggies loosen stools. So if the stools are already loose, greens would be making it worse. Plus, it would be hard to monitor the condition of the stools, since you won't know if their green color and wetness comes from disease, or from eating leaves.

Think about it this way, if you feel sick to your stomach, the last thing you want to eat is something that will make your tummy churn more. Perhaps budgies are smart enough to also avoid greens when they have a tummy ache, but you may as well just not give them any.

• Member ID:  7,778

Thankyou both for replying.

@paulie, the vet prescribed some meds (cant remember the name) to help with his diarrhea and I gave that to him everyday for a week. And it wasn't so much head bobbing, I guess its more similiar to when they regurgitate food, that sort of action, but not quite if that makes any sense.

@Finnie, His stools are completely normal from the looks of it, well formed, not too watery, not sticky, and he's very active, alert and I see him eat both his seeds and his vegies, he takes naps throughout the day but doesn't sleep often. and he only fluffs up when he's tired and about to take a nap. The thing is though, aside from his pale yellow vent and his weird behaviour he seems like a completely healthy bird. Ah, the reason why I ask about the vet is because I'm a uni student with little money and the avian vet will cost me almost $200 where the regular vet I saw only costs me $50.

Both birds seem to really enjoy the vegies and they go through one leaf a day (is that normal?) neither are very willing to try fruit yet, but I do place some in the cage everyday.

Also, little skye has a bit of a tail bobbing, is that okay?

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Just as a precaution .If skye is the one you are worried about, tail bobbing is not a good sign, can you hear any squeak type noise when it breathes? If so you need to get some Ivomectin (for birds) from the vet 1 drop on back of neck. It could be a lot of things air sac mites etc, The Ivomectin, costs about $10.00 or so, you would only need 20ml if that, I would treat both birds with it, it would also clear up any other worm/mite problem skye may have. It's a good thing to have on hand.

BUT I can't stress enough that you act urgently if you hear any squeaky noise, fluffing up etc. as they can die within a day or so if they are ill which they hide very well until it's nearly to late to help.

• Member ID:  7,778

Hi Robyn,

Well I noticed they both do tail bobs, just Skye does it a little more regularly. And no squeaking, and they fluff up when about to take a nap.