• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

So far I have tried every kind of seed at our pet shop plus Harrison pellets and now nutriberries and Allie keeps emptying out all the food bowls. I even tried a new thing they called budgie fruit with many kinds of millet in there and cinnamon oil. Got these new food dishes that she can't remove and that are too deep to empty. She emptied it. She dove right in head first and used her feet to dig it all out. There are three or four seeds left in the bottom.

0f264c91-8260-4297-a22f-e6e5d3f82a96_zps06051c78.jpg

Edited by Phoebes

• Member ID:  5,747
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  745

How old is she? Our babies do the same thing.

She could just be a destructive bird! I generally leave the stuff they throw out on the floor of the cage as long as it doesn't get to mucky so that they know that if they want food they have to eat the stuff they have thrown out. They often like foraging around on the ground as well, it's what they do in the wild.

If you are going to leave the stuff on the floor, don't refill the container because they will just keep doing it and not learn. You also need to keep a close eye on the floor to make sure it isn't getting mucky.

• Member ID:  7,514

I'm glad I checked this thread. I thought nobody answered. I think you are right she is destructive. I just tried to feed her nutriberries. She tears them apart just spitting out what she tears off. I have been trying to find stuff she likes.

I did refill the bowl this morning before I read this. Of course like you said she dove in head first and emptied it with her feet. The worst part is Noah now is trying to get in on the act and climbs on top causing her to make those angry bird sounds.

Today I was watching her and I wondered if she didn't think the big bowl could be used as a nest. Although she does try to lift if off, the next step is usually to throw it on the floor but these bowls have security latches. I put a big block of Alphalfa in there. She can't lift it so she is getting her money's worth in destruction.

I think I will buy the smaller size of this bowl. She won't be able to think it could be useful as a nest. They have a grill so they can't access what falls on the floor. Although the whole nutriberries don't fall through.

I think Allie is a year and a half, but I got her from the adult cage. Usually all the birds over a few months go in there. I've had her around a year and a half.

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

Phoebes have you tried the feeders that hang on the outside with only a narrow bit that goes through the cage and only their beaks can fit where the seeds are? I once had a budgie that used to kick out the seed every time I filled it and then realised she would chase the others away, eat her favourite seeds off the top and then dig down throwing seed EVERWHERE to try and find more of that seed.

• Member ID:  7,514

Phoebes have you tried the feeders that hang on the outside with only a narrow bit that goes through the cage and only their beaks can fit where the seeds are? I once had a budgie that used to kick out the seed every time I filled it and then realised she would chase the others away, eat her favourite seeds off the top and then dig down throwing seed EVERWHERE to try and find more of that seed.

I have some that are not very good. She goes and empties out the part they have access to. I have to tap it and hope Noah gets to it before her. Luckily he has the food coral. I am going to buy a new model I saw online and try it. I had another model that had a default on the design and emptied out on the floor. I think I may have built it wrong or something or had a cheap knockoff of the design. Some people put up pics of that model and said it was good but it always emptied on my floor. Thanks for the advice I have a model in mind. I'll let you know if it works should take two weeks to deliver.

http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/bbbirdie/media/Allieemptiesbowl005_zpscd8e93a0.mp4.html

Just for fun here is Allie five minutes after I filled this. I heard her violently throwing seed all over the room so by the time I got there it was almost empty but did catch her on film. Don't worry I filled it with cheaper seed the second time, I knew she would do this.