• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  675
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

I have read many posts and topics regarding Tefal pans.

Is it possible to use hard-anodized aluminum pans ? I have some ceramic pans what I think are fine and some stone-marble (all PTFE free).

Do you think this one can work too ? I will try to replace my hard anodized aluminium pans and saucepans. Do you think I can do it progressively even if the bird is already here ?

thank you for your help

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/fiesta-2-quart-aluminum-nonstick-covered-saucepans/207394?Keyword=ptfe+free+saucepan

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

I didn't even know what those pans were till you posted your question. I looked on other forums and found that some of these saucepans are sold with false labeling. It might be good to know exactly what your dealing with. Some sites talked about concerns for humans with these pans being that aluminum is linked to Alzheimer's. You have asked a very good question. Hopefully someone who has researched this before might come along. Thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I don't know if they have proven that aluminium is linked to Alzheimer's. I think they have ideas, but no answers on that yet. I could be wrong.

Anyway, aluminium is a great conductor of heat, so the best pans will have aluminium cores, but then be coated with stainless steel or whatever. I'm pretty sure these new ceramic coatings are safe.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

I may be wrong here but I did read somewhere, on here, that the fumes given off when cooking with teflon coated pans is toxic to birds, unless you had your birds very close to cooking area and used the teflon pans a lot, I don't think there would be a problem.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I may be wrong here but I did read somewhere, on here, that the fumes given off when cooking with teflon coated pans is toxic to birds, unless you had your birds very close to cooking area and used the teflon pans a lot, I don't think there would be a problem.

Robyn, I think that's the whole controversy. The manufacturers of the non stick coating (Teflon is one brand name, but all of them that have the PTFE or whatever the chemical is) claim that toxic fumes are only given off if the pans are overheated and reach a certain temperature. And that is the toxic level for people, they are not concerned with bird toxicity. Other people claim that just using the pans at all releases toxic fumes in small doses into the air, on a daily basis.

I would agree that there are a lot of people who have never stopped using their non stick pans, and who keep their birds in their kitchens or nearby, and who have never seen any issues with their birds. So there is some evidence that these pans will not harm birds under normal usage. But there are people who just want to err on the side of caution.

And just because some people have kept their birds near teflon use for many years without seeing a problem does not prove that there has been no effect on the bird. There could be small build ups of toxins that cause minor systemic damage, leading to a shortened overall lifespan. But there is no way to prove any of these thinngs, for or against.

The only thing they do know is that if the pans burn and release smelly fumes, you better clear the air and remove all forms of life, including yourself.

• 5 years later...

• Member ID:  8,745
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  357

Non-stick cookware is extremly toxic due to bird's weak immune systems.