Sign in to follow this  
Holster

A Little Help With My Poppy (Or Nanna)

Hi,I thought my budgie was a male, he (she) is calling out for other birds but was not overly interested in the female visiting in the next cage, so I thought he might be a she? Can somebody help me out.poppy3_zpsc4899cca.jpgpoppy2_zpsff44b280.jpgpoppy1_zps2cc64686.jpg

It looks to me to be a young male budgie

okay maybe he is just fussy.

I'd say male... could be wrong though :)

A big thanks for your help. I can start looking for a female for him now :)

I would say male too. But my budgie is a boy and he just doesn't get along with any other bird. So it could be difficult finding a partner.

Also how old is the little fella? Because he still looks relatively young and if you are trying to breed them at a young age (if you breed them), there could be problems. 9 months is what most breeders would be saying is the youngest to start at but you should wait until they are about one year old.

I don't plan to breed him, I think he is just lonely, he is continuously calling out to the other birds and running around the cage non stop trying to find a way to get out and join them, I mean non stop, pays no attention to me just calls out for the other birds (the ones in the sky flying past) So I thought he could use a female to stop him being so intent on joining the other birds. I have had him 4 weeks and he was just a baby when I got him. I have not had budgies before.

I think your bud. will settle down as he gets a little older. Even my birds in aviary call to other birds that pass, (mostly the parrot family).

A little friend may help him settle but if you want him to talk etc he would be better on his own.

Our new little blue boy does the same thing, but he has settled down a bit since Nan bought him down. He shares a cage with (i think) Lutino hen, she is very quiet, not very chatty. Blue boy, chats non stop, and calls when he hears parrots etc. We do love them both, so do the kids.