Choosing Friends For New Budgie?

Guest gudgeon

Guest gudgeon

Hi everyone, I joined the forum some time ago and have been lucky that my budgies have been without any issues to ask about.

I've just taken in another budgie (and 2 weiros) from somebody who couldn't look after them any more. The budgie is in a separate cage from the weiros, but they are next to each other so she isn't completely on her own. She seems quite "happy" on her own and it's obviously what she's used to. I'd really like to get her a friend or friends but am very confused as to how to go about it...

First question, with a budgie who has been living on her own (not sure how old she is), will she still be receptive to sharing her space or will changing her circumstances freak her out more than improve her circumstances? (I realize that personality comes into it, but if anyone has experience to offer an opinion I'd be grateful).

The girl at the pet shop said that they are better in even numbers because they tend to pair up and that a boy and girl or 2 pairs would be the way to go. She also said that more boys and a girl might mean the boys would compete for the girl. BUT I searched on here and some people had 2 boys and a girl and one had 3 boys and a girl. I don't plan on breeding and I'm completely clueless about "budgie sex". (I'm not sure what sexes my budgies are, and they've never seemed interested in any girl/boy stuff and they don't have a nesting box). The FAQ also suggested that 2 males are better than male/female or 2 females. The girl at the pet shop also said that you won't know the sex of baby birds and that I would need to adopt an older bird or birds to choose a particular sex. She suggested getting her a "boyfriend" and then maybe add another bonded pair. I'm happy to offer a home to birds people don't want any more and sometimes they are trying to rehome a pair. Would a pair accept my new budgie, or should I only look at single budgies?

Does anyone have any advice as to whether to get her a friend or friends and how best to go about it to avoid drama? I'm quite confused. Thanks.

• Member ID:  7,392
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,280
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/06/1962

If you are not planning to breed the simply pick a bird that you like and don't introduce a nest box. As far as stressing yr bird its hard to say. Budgies are a flock bird and generally welcome some interaction with others. You may get a bit of argument between the two when first introduced which is part of their normal behavior, some times there may be some serious fighting between hens but usually when fighting over nest space. If you get serious conflict they may need to be separated. Even though they are flock birds in the wild they can be quite the individual in their character so it is hard to say exactly what the reaction will be.

Others may have some other ideas for you.

Hope this helps

paulie

"EDIT" When I introduce a new bird to my aviary there is always great interest shown a little tyt for tat arguing until the pecking order is re established

Edited by paulie
Guest gudgeon
If you get serious conflict they may need to be separated. Even though they are flock birds in the wild they can be quite the individual in their character so it is hard to say exactly what the reaction will be.
Yes, thanks. There is a bit of crystal-ball gazing involved in asking, but I don't know much about birds (my budgies are my first birds, ever) so it's best not to find out something you needed to know AFTER you've gone off and done the wrong thing.

It was a "no-brainer" when I got my first budgie. She looked miserable on her own, I rushed out and got her a cagemate. With this new one, she seems quite bright and she's obviously used to being an "only budgie" that it's more of a decision. I'd hate to upset her too much if she doesn't want to share "her stuff" or she doesn't like a new budgie.

How "serious" is "serious conflict"? WIll they scrap and then retreat to a corner, or are we talking ripping each other to shreds, fight to the death sort of "serious". I understand that they'd need to be introduced slowly, but how is the fighting when budgies don't like each other? Serious enough to involve injury, or all squawking and posturing but nobody really gets hurt?

• Member ID:  7,392
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,280
  • Birthday:  02/06/1962

My birds remind me of teenage children, lots of niggling a bit of pecking and harsh words, then they will make up preen and feed each other, lots o little arguments over who is into the food first, even though there is plenty of space, or 1 is taking a bath and another wants to get in. Most or the time the are really quit cheery and get along. I have also introduced a new friend for my house bird Ghost, hand tame and limited talking Albino hen, she took immediately to her new friend to the point that both now come and play with me when i enter the room.

By a serious conflict i mean feathers flying, screeching, and birds rolling around the bottom of the cage locked in mortal combat. If this becomes the case you will know pretty soon after introducing a new bird. I don't think the chances are to high of this occurring but still be aware. Is your bird a hen? if so Id try to get a cock bird, more reason for them to be friends and cocks are not as aggressive. Finally I believe that being social animals the do better with others around.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, so most of this is what I have observe in my aviary's, other fanciers and tips picked up here on this forum.

There is a great deal of info here so do have a look.

Also these are my opinions and ideas not budgie gospel, others may have differing ideas, views and info to offer.

paulie

can you post a picture of your bird?

and cage setup?

Guest gudgeon

I was told that she was a girl. Do you want to see pictures of her to get a look at her cere? I haven't really got any good ones yet that show her face on. She was chomping on her branch. I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow. Also, I've only got closeups of her, not of the cage. It's a patio cage, about 80 x 180 high x ? deep. I'll take some measurements and photos tomorrow. Thanks.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi, If you really want her to have a friend, I'd agree with Paulie and say a cock bird would be best as they don't tend to fight much, 2 hens may fight.

The cage size sounds o.k for 2 so unless you add a nest box you should not have any breeding problems.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gudgeon

So, I got 3 young budgies who were already in together and "friends" (supposed to be a boy, a girl, and probably a boy). She's gone in with them and they seem to all get on okay. I've also got them a bigger (longer) cage.

I'm wondering whether my 2 indoor budgies could go out there with the others? Can budgies who have always been indoors adapt to life outdoors and can 2 budgies who have only had each other adjust to life in a bigger group? Not just whether they could adapt, but whether it would be better for them/they might like it better. Has anyone put indoor budgies out on a patio (it's undercover, but obviously subject to more fresh air and temperature fluctuations). Do they stress out if their lifestyle is changed, or would they just join the party? The outside cage is double the length of their cage.

• Member ID:  7,395
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  515
  • Birthday:  29/01/1981

Hi gudgeon. I had my pet birds inside for their first 12 months. I kept buying and breeding more budgies and could no longer keep them all in the house and they have all now gone into my aviary, pet birds included. My pets are VERY happy. They love sitting in the sun on their swing. I am sure your birds will do fine on your patio just make sure they always have some shade to cool down in if they wish and that they can escape drafts or high winds. Good luck I hope your birds have the same positive experience mine did.

Thanks pebble, mine are older than yours, hopefully they could still adapt. The new cage can be divided up so they could have half to test their reaction out, but I don't want to even try it if it might traumatize them or scare them to death or anything really bad.

The cage is mostly next to a wall and all of it is under a roof. Interestingly, they seem to like the open end. I've got some bamboo screening I can put up if/when it gets hot, or I could get a bamboo blind for the open end. At the moment it seems fine (there's shadecloth above the open side, so it's not totally exposed anyway.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi Gudeon,

I don't think you would have any trouble if all birds were put in together. I add new chicks or new birds to aviary and have not had any trouble, they seem very sociable birds and enjoy the company, naturally you may get a bit of a quarrel here and there, if they are in breeding mode usually. If you add nest box's and colony breed you may then strike trouble.

Update: My budgies have gone into the bigger cage on the patio. They seem happy in with the others. I miss having them right here, but they seem to enjoy it in with the others, so I'll just have to get used to it. Thanks for the advice.