• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello, I have bought a cobalt budgie from a well known NSW breeder (John Hewitt) a couple of months ago at a Sale Night (Budgerigar Society of NSW St George Branch). Since I have bought it he has been squeaking (sounds similar to an asthma attack) whenever I go close to him and gets scared or when bending down to eat from a bowl. He does not squeak any other time and he looks pretty healthy and active otherwise. I tried to treat him for air sac mites with Avimec (Vetafarm) for 3 weeks with no result. Now it is a couple of weeks that I have been giving him Triple C antibiotic both in the water and mixed with seeds. He still does not show any sign of improvement. Considering that it is now about 2 months (since I bought it on May 17) that he has this condition and does not seem to be life-threatening, I was wondering whether anyone experienced a similar issue and suggest what could be the cause. I was also wondering whether it is ethical for a breeder to sell a potentially sick budgie at an official Society Sale Night. Thanks for any help

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

It doesn't sound like he is sick to me. But I do know that they do and can hide there sickness well. I always say when in doubt it is a good idea too head out to an avian vet to check things out and see what is wrong and if sick. They can help treat him.

If he is not sick it could be a behavioural problem.

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

I have a bird that does that too. As soon as he gets stressed he sounds like he's going to have an asthma attack and fall off the perch but he's been checked and they told me he is fine it's just him. He does go back to normal when he calms down.

Good breeders wouldn't sell sick birds but the problem with budgies is that stress can very easily bring on an illness, that's why they should be quarantined for at least 30 days after you buy them no matter where you get them from.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

I agree with Nadene, quarantine first no matter what. I also had a bird that made this "squeak" (called squeak for that reason). He made this sound ALL the time , I treated for air sac etc, no change. He used to drive me nuts every time I was in cleaning aviary etc. At the moment I have 2 of his off spring (hens) in cages with 5 & 6 chicks each. None of his chicks have made this noise, thank heaven, I used to be able to hear him from approx 20 ft away when he was nervous.

He passed away last year but I don't think it was related to his squeak at all.

• Member ID:  7,622
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65

Thanks all for your replies. I went to the vet and beside some various bacteria in his poo (despite having used triple C for a couple of weeks) they found he has canker. So all my 4 budgies are on enotril (10 days) and flagyl (7 days). The bill was a bit over 300 dollars!!! He was also tested for chlamydia which resulted negative. Funny enough the same budgie is still squeaking and tail bobbing when scared or eating despite the treatment. I wonder whether the canker could have damaged his respiratory tract in a way that is not reversible and that no matter how much medication he gets he will not improve. The vet asked me to come back at the end of the treatment for further tests but considering the very expensive bill I do not think I can afford to do that. This treatment has not minimally improved the squeaking issue and hopefully the canker should be gone once finished. If you have any further suggestion please let me know. I am glad to hear that some experienced a similar issue without a serious concern on the budgie's health.

Edited by world33

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  405
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

Even though it was expensive it was good you found out about the canker before you lost any birds.