Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's been a while since my last post, but a repeat visit to the vet has just completely floored me with the magnitude of what is going to happen to one of my budgies.

 

Basically a month or so ago I noticed Lychee sitting on the bottom of the cage, slightly fluffed up but otherwise okay. I also noticed he was limping slightly which started to set off some alarm bells. Took a trip to the local vet to get it checked out, which revealed a rather large growth on his leg. Vet suggested I visit Birdvet in Waterloo.

 

Visited Birdvet (which by the way a huge shoutout to them for their professionalism and love of birds!) and gave me some bad news... the lump is possibly a cancer. Declined surgery as the lump had affected the joint and full recovery was not possible. Got some antibiotics to help the infection and bandaged the leg up to stop him picking at his foot.

 

Second trip to replace the bandage gave me some hope as the lump had decreased in size (probably the scab had come off), so continued with the treatment. Going back the third time today the vet told me that while the infection was gone, the lump had grown, and is now restricting blood flow to the lower leg. She suggested euthanasia as there is not much else to do, apart from delaying the inevitable. Once the lower leg is gone, that will be that apparently and you need to take that option. They also advised against amputation, which would not improve the quality of life, as well as the uncertainty of whether the growth has spread

 

I guess I'm just shocked and really saddened by the development. Lychee's a bundle of mischief, and to put him down while he is still happily chirping away and nibbling me while I medicate him really breaks my heart, especially given that it is just his leg giving him grief. Has anyone here been forced to make the decision in this situation? He's learnt to cope with a bandaged leg but as much as I want to say he's okay, he probably isn't as much as I expect him to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im so sorry to hear :( it may be the right thing to have him put down though - as hard as it may be for you. I have had and have had friends lose much loved budgies. actually - one of my close friends lost her whole aviary of budgies in the floods that we had - she had the most beautiful colours ever :( anyway, if lychee starts to show signs of major discomfort - and maybe even pain - he may be giving you a sign that it is time. keep us updated on what happens. so sorry again :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, sorry to hear this, if he is still happy not in pain etc. (you know what the likely outcome will be.) I think i'd keep him on his meds etc and let him enjoy the rest of his time with you. When the time comes you know he isn't himself any longer then I'd make the decision. Good luck I hope you still have some quality time with him. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I'm so sorry to hear about your budgie. I can empathise with you as I currently have a budgie in a similar situation. My budgie has several noticeable tumours and in fact hasn't been able to fly for some months now. I did bring him inside in a cage for a while but he is happiest out in the aviary. I've set up a series of branch ladders to enable him to get about and access all sections of the aviary, and this works well. At present he is still eating (this has always been his favourite past time, he is such a guts) and drinking, chirping, interacting with the other birds and seems happy enough. I know however that he is unlikely to make it through the Winter and that I will have to make the hard decision at some point over the next few months. Like you, I am hoping I will recognise that point when it comes and in the meantime give him as much quality of life as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the support guys, it is much appreciated.

 

At the moment he is coping okay with a bandaged foot, though I see he is losing a bit more mobility in that leg. He chirps more now and is a pig when given food (always eating, and goes crazy over millet spray). I think I will have to compromise a bit and give him some more ground based food so it is easier for him to access as opposed to eating from his food bowl. Not that he doesn't eat from it, its just that he poops in it and he's stubborn that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update to the situation:

 

His leg is definitely worse now, and short of an amputation which may or may not be successful long term I cannot bear to see him struggle much longer with the leg. I almost made the decision to put him down yesterday, but couldn't bear to do it when the senior vet came out for a discussion. I essentially bought him (and myself) one more week to prepare, and seeing the condition he is in now as opposed to last week has given me some confidence that he would rather it end sooner than later. He has given up stuggling to escape me when I feed him his meds, and instead is content to gnaw my fingers and use his good leg to perch on one of said fingers. That alone says to me he's starting to not cope with the pain and the inconvenience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i am really sorry to hear about this situation :( i actually do suggest to put him down earlier rather than later - espaecially if he is in pain and discomfort. he will actually be more grateful to die and he would respect you more and love you still even though you put him down earlier because he wont have to keep suffering and then die in agony. it is a hard decision - yes - a very hard decision but sometimes - the hardest are always the best - really sorry to hear again - my thoughts and sympathys are with you and your budgie <3

Link to post
Share on other sites

To close off the topic, Lychee passed away on Saturday night, next to his two kids. Went out in the morning and put his cage next to the main cage so that he could socialise with the other two and when I got back that night he had moved on. In a way, it made me happy that he chose his time to go, rather than let me choose for him.

 

Thanks again for the support throughout this mess, and I'm glad he's gone to a better place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry the little fellow didn't make it, he took the hard decision off you though. :( Just take heart that you did all you could for him. These things happen but they are very easy to get attached to. Good luck with his kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...