• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,285
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

One of my male budgies finds it difficult to take off, if he is on the ground he has to cling up the side of the wire to get to the perches. He often sits there and both of his wings shiver or shake?

I have bred him for the first time ever, and unfortunately 3 of his 4 babies have passed. One fell out of the box at 2 weeks of age during the night and got attacked by the others while on the ground. Another one came out at the right age but seemed to have a broken wing, it also passed. The third one was doing well but suddenly died, and now I have separated the parents and last baby from the aviary to a small cage.

The baby has hardly any power and can't perch or fly, it just sits in the food bowl eating all day or lays on the bottom of the cage. I think it may have wing problems as well because I can feel the bones in it's wings.

Could this be a genetic order passed on from the father? The father is a beautiful bird and produced beautiful colours in his first shot but I don't want to loose babies or have them suffer.

Thanks

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

Have you got any photos of the father and baby? It might be easier to get an idea of what it might be if we can see the problem wings.

• Member ID:  7,327

There are no visual defects with the fathers wings, they look like any other birds wings. He just can't fly and neither can any of his babies. I have looked at his wings a lot and they look normal I just don't know what the problem is.

Thanks

I had a topic about what color he is so I have gotten the link from that with pictures, it shows his wings in that topic and they haven't changed since then. He has always had problems with the wings since I bought him.

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=32031

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi, he looks normal in picture. You said he had beautiful colours in his first shot. Is this his first clutch or did he have some others? If he had others, what were they like, could they fly etc.

Sometimes birds that have been caged in small cages for a long time can't fly very well. I bought some show culls and had to "teach them to fly". I would hunt them off perch's several times a day to make them use their wings, they learnt to fly but ones with heavier body weight have a bit of trouble gaining height etc.

Hi,

This was his first clutch for me, I am not sure if he has bred previously. He produced a yellow face violet, 2 yellow face greys and also another yellow face grey pied. He has hardly been in a small cage and had been living in my aviary with other budgies that fly fine. I first noticed the problem after purchasing and bringing him home. Should I continue to breed with him?

Thanks

I think if this is his first clutch and you have had all these problems with chicks I don't think I'd breed him again just yet. See how your last chick turns out, if it picks up and learns to fly normally it may be just an injury to Dad that causes his lack of flight. How old is your last chick? has it feathered up normally etc. if it still has problems maybe there is a genetic problem. What a shame when his chicks sound like lovely colours. How long have you had Dad? do you know if he was in aviary or caged before you bought him. :unsure:

Hi,

I have had this male for about a year now. I have no background information on him, im not sure what his parents were or anything. It's such a shame that he and his babies have had this problem, these were the best looking yellow faces I have ever bred. The last baby has been out of the box for a bit over 1 week, it spends most of its time sitting in the food tray eating. It can't perch and finds it difficult just walking along the bottom of the cage, it mostly just sits there. i held it today and could feel the bones in its wings very easily.

I don't think i will be breeding from this male in case of this happening again.

The baby is able to eat without any troubles, it is quite independent for the young age it is at. I think it may also have a problem with it's feet as when it perches it can't completely close its foot around the perch.

Thanks

• Member ID:  5,144
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,440

Hi it sounds like your male may have been malnourished as a baby so his bone strength is not there to fly properly.

The problem you are having with his young sounds similar because your male is struggling to keep himself going let alone a family.

If he was in a cage setup he may have been able to cope but males in an aviary situation need to be 100% fit to be able to do all the duties of a dad.

If you want young off him you would have to keep him separated with the hen and cage breed him. They will need lots of calcium and good quality feed.

You could also foster the eggs out to other pairs who are proven parents.

I don't think it is a hereditary problem I think mum was struggling to keep up without much help, it is usually a hungry baby that will leave the nest early.

Cheers Jenny

Hi after reading Jenny's info. maybe soluble calcium in water would benefit Dad, for future breeding and baby. If chicks bones can be strengthened if may turn out okay. because chick is sitting eating it may have been hungry in nest box as well. Jenny may have nailed the reason your other chicks did not thrive, maybe Dad could not keep up to nourish them.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, the baby seems to be going good. I think because he has sat in the food eating the last couple of days he has gained some weight and energy. He is still cant perch or fly but i saw it this morning strengthening its wings by flapping them and it walks around the bottom very easily now.

I was thinking because this baby could have a tough aviary life with his wings, it could be a good idea to hand tame him and make him a family pet. What are your thoughts on this idea?

Thanks

Hi, glad your chick is improving maybe he was just starving, now he's had a few good feeds he might gain enough strength to develop his wings. If he doesn't look like he's improved enough for the aviary he would make a lovely pet for you. :)

Hi,

I'm just giving an update, the baby perches a bit more now but still likes being on the floor more. I was thinking on putting it back in the aviary but I wont be for a while. I pulled it out of its cage yesterday and it tried to fly but wasn't that good, I have attached a photo of the baby.

photo5_zps2405be34.jpg

Thanks