• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  140
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

hi all,

I bought home my budgies last sunday, they were very quiet for the first day or so but now they are more active.

They are eating, chatting and will respond to me when I talk to them.

One is more chatty than the other, but the chatty one seems to be bullying the other one, they were from the same source but from two different clutches, they are both supposed to be boys. One is about 10 weeks the other about 9 weeks.

The chatty one, is constantly grooming or picking at the other ones face, he feeds him and he generally seems to push the other one around. The other one is quieter, he seems to be a bit puffed up most of the time and he sits with his head sort of bowed, he is also about a week younger than the other one, he doesn't seem to have any injuries and he is eating and pooing fine, he happily plays with the bell and will sit on my hand.

I have called my vet and he doesn't seem to think there is much to worry about, he is an avian vet and I trust his opinion but I was wondering if this is normal behavior.

Thanks

Cass

• Member ID:  7,568
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0

I will also add, they seem to be sleeping in the seed bowl! They have a light cotton cover and I will arrange something heavier but is this normal, I have not had budgies since I was a kid!

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

Hi Cass,

Congrats on the new babies, they are very cute. It all sounds pretty normal to me. Sometimes it takes one a little longer to settle in than the other, just keep an eye on his poos and that he doesn't become more lethargic.

You will find that there is always one bird that is the boss and sometimes it can switch depending on what they are doing e.g the two birds at the bottom of my post are the first ones I bred (my mum now owns them) and one is dominant inside the cage and the other is the boss when he is with people. They learn to groom and feed each other in the nest box because even though these two might not be brothers there can be a week or more difference in age in the same clutch and the older ones will feed the younger ones and thats what these will do too. Good luck with them :)

• Member ID:  7,568

Thank you Nadene, I really want them to be happy and to thrive, it has been a long time since I have had a small bird and the last time, he was really, really young and on his own.