• Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  515
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  29/01/1981

It is 45°C at my home today and bushfire smoke is making the backyard hazey. As I live near bushland, bushfires are a fact of life for me, however the severity of fires around the country this season has made me think about my bushfire survival plan. If I had to evacuate I would grab my dogs and now my birds. My birds are few and currently inside, but is there an easy way to quickly collect birds from an aviary. Likewise if you must leave them do breeders have any advice of what to leave to help them survive. Finally, does smoke pose any kind of health risk to our little friends and is there anything that could be done to alleviate any issues. Thanks for any feedback, I just thought thisld be a prudent conversation to have in this current heat.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Good point Pebbles, I really don't know how you would catch birds quickly in that situation. Mine are hard enough to catch at the best of times. It's food for thought though, with embers drifting for long distances you don't have to live in bushland to have a flare up.

In this extreme temps I have been misting my birds in aviary several times a day. This is the first time I've seen my birds resting on the floor of the aviary. After misting they go back to perch's. Don't know how they would cope with heavy smoke. I think the only way to try to save them would be to rig up a hose at front on aviary and leave it misting into aviary until you could get back to them. Other ideas would be great. meanwhile I hope everyone is safe from fire now.

• Member ID:  7,395
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  515
  • Birthday:  29/01/1981

Thanks Robyn

As I have been thinking about this lately I have decided that as I build my flock I will buy little second hand cages. Enough so I could move the whole flock, even if they had to squish on the floor rather than perch. This way if there was time to remove them at least it is possible. I also think this is where being a member of a club is important as I am sure most clubs would have members who would be temporarily able to house some birds in their quarentine facilities in such situations. I also hope all members and their friends and families are safe and free from any fire threat.

Edited by Pebble

• Member ID:  7,164
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  2,325
  • Birthday:  13/10/1978

Hi Pebble, I've only had 1 experience with with smoke which also had ash falling due to back burning and the only thing I noticed was 1 bird sneezed for about a week. He was fine before it showing no other symptoms of illness and then just went, it was like it gave him sinus (I don't know if they can get sinus but thats was it was like).