• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  200
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

As founder of Budgie Rescue South Coast I get a lot of sick, injured, lost or neglected budgies brought into my care. However, the majority of the birds who have entered my care in recent months have been rescued from pet shops! One of the most recent is Cloud who was brought into my care a few weeks ago. He was still featherless in some areas when he came here and was extremely skinny.

It is easy for me believe that people are heartless enough to take young birds to a pet shop to be sold, because let's face it, there are too many thoughtless breeders out there who just should not breed, period. I am, however, appalled to learn that pet shops are taking in these young or sick birds and then selling them! It's ridiculous! Yesterday, I had an old man bring in a hen who has splayed legs and was getting attacked by other birds in the cage. This is the second bird this gentlemen has brought to me in about as many weeks and both birds came from the same shop! I can't stand the fact that people are buying these budgies with their own money just to bring them to a rescue shelter because they know the bird is unhealthy. It just shouldn't happen.

Thank you to all the pet owners, breeders and shops who do the right thing by an animal to ensure it does not enter a rescue facility and is instead given the love, attention and care it needs. And to those who don't, SHAME ON YOU!

• Member ID:  7,401
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  298
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,895
  • Birthday:  28/02/1999

That's infuriating >: (

There are two pet stores near where I live, a Petsmart and a Petco, and thankfully both keep the birds in good conditions, with clean, big-enough cages and some toys and plenty of clean food and water.

• Member ID:  5,933
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  135

As founder of Budgie Rescue South Coast I get a lot of sick, injured, lost or neglected budgies brought into my care. However, the majority of the birds who have entered my care in recent months have been rescued from pet shops! One of the most recent is Cloud who was brought into my care a few weeks ago. He was still featherless in some areas when he came here and was extremely skinny.

It is easy for me believe that people are heartless enough to take young birds to a pet shop to be sold, because let's face it, there are too many thoughtless breeders out there who just should not breed, period. I am, however, appalled to learn that pet shops are taking in these young or sick birds and then selling them! It's ridiculous! Yesterday, I had an old man bring in a hen who has splayed legs and was getting attacked by other birds in the cage. This is the second bird this gentlemen has brought to me in about as many weeks and both birds came from the same shop! I can't stand the fact that people are buying these budgies with their own money just to bring them to a rescue shelter because they know the bird is unhealthy. It just shouldn't happen.

Thank you to all the pet owners, breeders and shops who do the right thing by an animal to ensure it does not enter a rescue facility and is instead given the love, attention and care it needs. And to those who don't, SHAME ON YOU!

I've been away from this forum for a while, but intend to be posting more often. I have plenty of questions.

Regarding your post, I'm glad that there are people like you in this world to help these poor babies. That being said, it's horrible that any animal is being treated in this manner. I have made intereventions myself in "pet" stores when I see deplorable conditions such as water not being changed for days which was apparent from the color. I ragged on management until they changed it.

Stupidity is abundant in this world. It's up to animal rights warriors to be on guard.

Again, I'm glad you are in this world.

By The Way, I'm not "male"........I've tried to change it, but it still appears as male. ??

Edited by eve

• Member ID:  7,502
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  200

Birdlove, I'm glad to hear you have decent pet shops in your area!

Eve, you sound like you are an animal rights warrior too, glad to hear it! There needs to be more of us! Lol

As for changing your gender on here, I had the same problem with my birth date, it kept showing a completely different date then the date I was entering..weird lol.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Please be aware that there is a HUGE distinction between "animal rights" and animal "welfare'. Animal welfare is important. But Animal RIGHTS groups want to take away all of our human rights to own or do anything at all with any animals. They are a dangerous group that wants to eliminate all pets and food animals. Be careful which ones you donate to.

Also, if any money was given to the pet stores from which these birds are "rescued" from, then the pet store owner has been duly rewarded and encouraged to continue offering sick birds for sale, since they obviously sell well.

Harrass these stores, annoy them, educate them, or badger them into better care, but do NOT support them with cash and open up a spot for their next sick victim. We need the market for sick birds to dry up so the stores, and in turn the breeders, will stop having incentive to continue to produce them.

When you buy one of these birds, and "rescue" it, you doom even more birds who will follow in it's path to take its place.

(I commend you guys for doing what you can to solve the problem. :) )

• 5 years later...

• Member ID:  8,745
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  61
  • Achievement Points:  357

On 19/12/2012 at 12:05 PM, Finnie said:

Please be aware that there is a HUGE distinction between "animal rights" and animal "welfare'. Animal welfare is important. But Animal RIGHTS groups want to take away all of our human rights to own or do anything at all with any animals. They are a dangerous group that wants to eliminate all pets and food animals. Be careful which ones you donate to.

Also, if any money was given to the pet stores from which these birds are "rescued" from, then the pet store owner has been duly rewarded and encouraged to continue offering sick birds for sale, since they obviously sell well.

Harrass these stores, annoy them, educate them, or badger them into better care, but do NOT support them with cash and open up a spot for their next sick victim. We need the market for sick birds to dry up so the stores, and in turn the breeders, will stop having incentive to continue to produce them.

When you buy one of these birds, and "rescue" it, you doom even more birds who will follow in it's path to take its place.

(I commend you guys for doing what you can to solve the problem. :) )

I know isnt it so horrible and unthinkable that...

OMG! WE DONT OWN ANIMALS!

real shocker isnt.

Edited by Skye Lily

• Member ID:  8,745
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  61
  • Achievement Points:  357