Sign in to follow this  
rachelrose

Budgie Size

Hi there,

I am looking at buying a particular yellow df spangle cock, he is 1/4th English Budgie and has a bit of size. if I pair him with a pet sized df spangle (or sf spangle), will the chicks take on more hens size as in other species or is it more gradual in birds?

I normally don't get into the English budgies as I prefer the smaller pet budgie but I do like df spangles and was wondering if first generation size decrease would be very noticeable and worthwhile or if I should keep looking for smaller df spangles.

Any info much appreciated :)

Hi No one can predict with any accuracy what size the chicks will be. Large small & every size in between

That includes other birds......B.J.-

That's good to know, thanks BJ. Tweet, my dom yellow pied is a cross, but I'm not sure what %. He's a tad larger than the others and his tail is a tad longer. The difference is barely noticeable, and I probably wouldn't have, had I not known he's a cross. I'm hoping he might throw some larger birds, but still retain the playful disposition of their daddy.

when I used show budges in with my pets sized ones the chicks where slightly larger than mum in the end. One was more feathers than a big build compared to siblings

I only breed pet type birds but I usually try to breed a "pet size" with a "show type". The results have been a bigger bird than pet and very nice to look at. The spangles I have bred seem to take longer to fill out but they are lovely by their first moult. I have one that is still called d.f. but with suffusion, he is really nice but looks like he's wearing a mauve bib. :)

Robyn - i must just have to steal him :D