• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  690
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Twitter is doing really good today. I've been greatly encouraged by posts in this forum and another I joined.

I have added a treat cup by his low perch, and filled it with molting food. After he pigged out on today's budgie salad, he went to that treat cup and has been merrily eating away. Reading in the FAQ's, I'm going to get some cod liver oil and wheat germ oil and soak his seed in it. I think it will supply some badly needed nutrition as well as some high fat calories. I have to put some weight on the little guy. And with the weather turning colder I'm sure he can use the calories. (He does still have access to the heat lamp.) Fortunately, that treat cup is in 'his corner.' The other budgies don't go there often. I'll keep watch and if they do, I'll move him and his treat cup to another cage for dinner.

He seems content to perch on my shoulder, and even munched on some millet there yesterday. He's so darn cute it makes me sad that he's struggling so hard to get a handle on life. On the other hand, maybe that struggle is what makes him so special. Whether I breed him or not - I will get him to a vet and if it's French molt he'll be a pet -- regardless he's a very special bird.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. Twitter found the right home for him.

• Member ID:  7,441

Thanks Nerwen. I'm sure trying!

I picked up groceries today. I think I bought more for the birds than for myself. Brown rice, (black) beans, quinoa, cornmeal, a couple vitamin supplements, and cod liver oil. I also ordered the Herb Salad from The Lady Gouldian website. I'm going to get the little guy healthy or kill him trying!

Edited by ima.snowbird

Twitter has joined the chorus this morning! I heard a some chatter just a bit different than the others, and looked over to see who it was... and there's Twitter, singing right along!

He's made some chirping sounds previously, and he's really good at 'mad budgie' if someone gets in his space, but I think this is the first I've noticed him chattering with the rest.

I interpret this as progress!

I realize I may be a little biased... but I think Twitter is just the cutest little guy.

Tonight he was trying to get to the food dish. The other birds had pretty much taken all available space. So Twitter ran around pulling tails until space opened up for him!

I caught him playing tag with one of the other young budgies, the 2 of them running around on the floor of the cage.

And tonight he's on the perch that's about 5" off the floor (he had a hard time getting on it before). He's singing to himself, biting at the toy rings hanging there and doing the Budgie Bop with his head.

He still looks like he preened with an egg beater, but his behavior is progressing so nicely.

Edited by ima.snowbird
  • 2 weeks later...

As you may have read, I took Twitter to an avian vet yesterday.

I really like her. She was good with him, very gentle, and confident handling him. She wasn't ashamed to say she hadn't seen any French Molt in awhile, and wanted to consult her reference.

She's fairly sure that's what he has. And I've learned that it is caused by a virus. One that they shed for the first 6 months or more that they're infected. So... I guess I won't be breeding budgies anytime soon.

Budgies are one bird that can carry the virus without showing any sign. If they get it in the nest, many die, but those that do survive can go on to live a 'normal' life. Hopefully, the rest of my flock won't lose feathers because of it. But I don't want to risk babies with it.

We're also treating Twitter for a respiratory infection. She wants to test, there are 3 different viruses that he could be carrying: Polymona Virus that causes French Molt, another virus that effects plumage, and causes death (I actually think we can rule that test out - either he's going to die or live, and I can't afford to treat the others if he's infected them) and Chlamydiosis. We're hoping we can do an environmental test to get the entire flock. I should hear back today, she was going to call the lab.

I'm really good at 'denial.' It took a few hours for it to sink in that I would be unwise to breed budgies. At first I was pretty devastated, but I have a happy, seemingly healthy flock, I'm enjoying the chatter, and their antics. If I can't breed, well, I'll just get over it.

On a much lighter note, last night I had 4 birds competing to eat millet from my hand! Tweet has been doing so, and Gracie has been showing interest, but last night there were so many that I was standing with one hand in the door on one end of the cage, and the other in the door on the other end, a piece of millet in each hand, and 2 budgies sharing each. WHAT FUN!

When storm clouds gather, you have to look for the sunshine where you can find it. That was my ray of sunshine last night.

Diana

The vet called this afternoon. The lab says we can test for all 3 viruses that she's concerned about, using an envrionmental swab. I'm to let the cage go for a few days and then swab the corners for feather dust.

They also recommended an oral swab for Twitter.

She reassured me that my breeding is not on hold forever, but for 6 months to a year, until the virus has run it's course in the birds that I have. She also said that my canary should be fine, that these viruses don't usually effect them. My guess is, that we'll do another test in 6 months - a year when I feel my birds are ready to breed and if they then test negative, I can go ahead.

She has to order the swabs to use for the test, then they'll call, I'll take Twitter back in for the oral swab, and pick up the swabs.

I guess it was bothering me more than I realized. I'm re-energized - bordering on manic this afternoon! HAHAHA.

Diana

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

that vet sounds wonderful! i will keep her for sure. Sorry to hear that it is French moult. you are doing super with all of them.

Hope the tests give a clear answer.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Sounds like a great vet. and sounds like Twitter is perking up a bit, great news hope you keep taking pics to show if his plumage improves. Good job. keep up the good work. :)