Sign in to follow this  
Yuki

Hopping Into My Mouth

Hi all,

New to this website. I have a budgie who is approximately 5-6 months old and is going through her moult. She seems to be on the tail end of it as she is losing fewer and fewer feathers and her cere has changed colours to quite a brown colour.

She is a lovely little bird and will regular come out of her cage and play. She likes to sit on my glasses and nibble my eyelids which although it sounds strange can be quite relaxing. I wondered why she was doing it and fingured it might be she needs salt. She didn't have a cuttlefish so I got her one. She did have a mineral block which she uses and she regularly drinks her water.

This week she was sitting on my glasses while I was laying down. She moved onto my nose and had a peck at that and then leaned to my mouth and pecked my lips. I have taught her to kiss and do this by saying kiss kiss and puckering up so I am used to this.

However, she tried to open my lips and out of curiosity I let them open a little. She started pecking my teeth almost as though she was trying to clean the plaque off them (even though I had just been the the dentist for the same thing!!). I thought that was odd.

Yesterday, same thing except she was quite insistent about getting my mouth open and pecked me which made me say ouch and then she stepped into my mouth. She started pecking (but not in a painful way) around my mouth but mostly under my tongue. Having a mouthful of bird is not what I was expecting and almost choked while I was trying not to close my mouth and get her out!!

Anyway, now each time she is on me she tries to get me to open my mouth. I am trying to figure out what she needs. Any ideas??

Thanks, Jane

Sounds interesting I may be wrong about this but she could just be exploring, she is young and playful and thinks it is a toy. I could be wrong with this see what the others think.

Hello What she needs. is to be kept away from your face. What seems to be so cute now could cost you an eye from a miss-directed

peck or kiss & It wont seem so cute when your busy....The bacteria in the human mouth can be harmful to a small bird. being a different species have no resistance to any germs we may be carrying. Teach her a game to play like the one below.....B.J.

B,J's. HIDE & SEEK

A simple bit of play enjoyed by all birds once they learn it. You will need a few plastic bottle tops.

The trick is for you to hide a tiny piece of a favourite treat under one of the tops & encourage your

bird to look for it. Your bird will enjoy knocking over the top to find the treat.

When your pet is happy to knock over the one top for the treat, Add another couple of tops but don't

let him see which you hide it under.

After a few days most birds will knock over as many tops as it takes, to get to a favourite treat.

Remember the smaller the treat, the longer the game will last...B.J.

To add to B.J.'s comments, WE can also pick up some diseases from birds. I don't think it would be very wise letting her into your mouth. They say even kissing your bird could be risky. I'd find other games for her as B.J suggests..

Hi Yuki, welcome to the forum.

One thing I would also mention, is that when she pecked at your lip to make you say "ouch" and open your mouth, that will teach her that when she bites you, you will do what she wants. It won't be too long before she starts using bites to get her way and control you. And her bites will get harder and harder.

It sounds like right now she is nice and gentle with you, and you want to encourage that. So try to only reward her when she nibbles gently. If she bites hard, I know it won't be easy, but try not to yell or say "ouch" too excitedly, because making their owner "dance" and "sing" can become a really fun game to a bird. It's a way of rewarding her for her bite. So try to ignore any bites, or if she is persistant, then teach her that biting ruins the game and earns her cage time.

Hope these tips help.

Thanks everyone. I have definitely stopped her going near my mouth. I started the game BJ suggested and she warmed to it straight away. I didn't have things she could tip over but if I put the millet under an egg cup and then asked her which one it was under. She would only chirp when I put my finger on the one with the millet. Thanks for all your replies. I look forward to teaching her more.

Thanks, Jane